Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timeliness in logging

Default Timeliness in logging

I just want to throw this out there. I do have my own opinions, but what I am looking for is some sort of consensus about logging caches.

The question is:

How long should a cacher wait to log their cache relative especially to First to finds?

It appears that sometimes they do not get logged promptly, but there is also the understanding that sometimes caching is done on the way to work or at times when it is not possible or convient to get to a computer.

I try to log my finds as soon as I get to a computer. Often times when I am looking at a new listing you wonder, "has it been done yet?" Often I have been tempted to drag my feet in logging new ones, but the more I think about it maybe it is only fair to log as soon a reasonably possible.

One might save someone a long trip hopeing for a FTF when in fact the cache may have had a signature in the log for hours.

There, I asked the question. What do you think?
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I think as soon as humanely possible would be generally accepted.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

My opinion is FTFs are a bonus part of the game, and everything that goes along with it. If you want to be FTF bad enough, you take the chance. I have purposely delayed logging FTF on a few caches to keep people guessing. Are you not going to bother to go get the cache if you can't get an FTF on it?

I'd prefer if people were going to log anything promptly, it would be DNFs. At least the owner might have time to check on it if needed then. DNFs are fun, but I'd rather get a DNF on a cache that does exist than one that does not.

For those that are not playing for numbers, logging as soon as you can is acceptable. If I were out all day caching and and got very lucky for a FTF in my trip and got back home late in the afternoon, the FTF may not get logged until the next day. If it fell on a Sunday I probably would not log until Monday or Tuesday becasue the GC servers are usually overloaded Sunday and Mondays with everyones else trying to log.

My .02 cents.......

Team Teebow 1
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

There are s few FTF nut's out there that will make a run at any or all hours. (No names here). I think that anyone logging a FTF in the middle of the night owes his competition the comon courtesy of logging it on the site that night when they return home, so that their competition doesn't have to waste time or gas running for it the next morning. I admit that I may have been lazy about doing that after a midnight run, but even I admit that would be fair, and from now on will always make sure I do log it upon returning home. John

I'm not addicted to caching, I can quit any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    There are s few FTF nut's out there that will make a run at any or all hours. (No names here). I think that anyone logging a FTF in the middle of the night owes his competition the comon courtesy of logging it on the site that night when they return home, so that their competition doesn't have to waste time or gas running for it the next morning. I admit that I may have been lazy about doing that after a midnight run, but even I admit that would be fair, and from now on will always make sure I do log it upon returning home. John

I'm not addicted to caching, I can quit any time.
    I agree with this 100%. If someone is going to make this much of an effort then they owe it to everyone to log it the minute they return home.

If someone gets a first to find without planning on it then I think then they log it when they get a chance to just like they would any other cache. But try to make the effort to log it as soon as possible.
    Blazing Troll

I agree with most of the comments, i.e., log the cache AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

I don't mean that you should rush right home and jump on the computer. We often log caches on the way to somewhere else, and we don't log them until we get home at the end of the day. We don't chase FTF's, but if we did get a FTF, it may not get logged for several hours.

Those that do like to chase TF's should realize that if a cache has been out there for more than an hour, it's probably been found.

I agree with BRDAD. If your caching simple for the FTF's, then part of the challenge is taking the chance on it not being found before you get there. If your caching just to be caching why would it matter when others log there finds? or don't? I've "lost" 2 FTF to cachers who have never logged it into gc.com or even logged an account with gc.com. That did not diminish those caches for me. Nor did I complain or ask the FTF to log the cache. While I like to get FTF's and will often chase after them, I would never be disappointed or consider it "wasting gas" if I ended up being second, third, or fiftieth. Today I drove to Solon thinking I had a chance for a FTF only to find the log signed. I kind of chuckled to myself and congratulated the FTF even though they weren't there to hear me and I explored the place as it was really interesting.

I guess it doesn't matter to me when someone else logs there finds. I think that if those people that are only interested in FTF's are going to be upset that others may delay signing the log then for me that is all the more reason to delay, LOL. Keep 'em guessing i say!

We generally try to log in a timely manner, though I forgot to log your WWWWW event, Bruce, and now it's archived--see what happens when you procrastinate?!

dí76 Guest

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...d-5b10835d42f5

This was going tobe a great first to find. Was posted over a year with no takers. The guy that logged it two days before we got there never even logged there find on the site.