vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timeliness in logging

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    We generally try to log in a timely manner, though I forgot to log your WWWWW event, Bruce, and now it's archived--see what happens when you procrastinate?!
    Sheesh! You must be the guy everyone is talking about! LOL!

(Sorry about that - but I think you can still log it if I give you the link)

I say keep em guessing I know there are some people who will go out at all hours of the night for a FTF and that someone is not me as I don't like night time caching.Sure I have my share of FTF's , I think maybe 55 as of this post but I won't break my neck getting to them. The one I got yesterday at Pleasant Pond was a surprise to me as it was already 9 am and I figured I would be 2nd or 3rd. I did get pissed off so to speak a year or so ago when I took a special trip down to Augusta for a FTF and find out that it had been found the PREVIOUS day but not logged, but hey I got over it. I say if you want to be a FTF hound then you take your chances. It's too bad about all those great caches that you missed on the way to that FTF that you might not ever get to. Just my 2 cents.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I did get pissed off so to speak a year or so ago when I took a special trip down to Augusta for a FTF and find out that it had been found the PREVIOUS day but not logged, but hey I got over it.
    No you didn't...

d’76 Guest

In my opinion I will log it at the most conveint time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Sheesh! You must be the guy everyone is talking about! LOL!

(Sorry about that - but I think you can still log it if I give you the link)
    Ha ha--you are the man, Bruce! Got it logged with no problems. I wouldn't be surprised if people talk, though I think we've always logged our (admittedly few) FTFs pretty quickly. TBs are another story, though, which is why we pretty much have ceased doing them any more.

occasionally if I do a FTF late at night I will wait to log it just to give the second to find the surprise and joy of opening the cache container and finding a chicken butt sticking out of the top. LOL

Hmm... Most seem to be in agreement - log the FTF as soon as possible? Is that now the 'modern' etiquette we are using? Wait. I think we’re talking about me & Cold Cache? : )

YOP, I and the other FTF seekers of the day used to do battle the ‘Old School’ way; we always waited for the FPL to post, then we would swoop in with our FTF logs, even if it took a couple of days for the FPL log to hit the site. Since I haven’t ‘played’ much with this current FTF crowd… Perhaps the ‘rules’ have now changed?

Personally, I think it's more fun to leave them un-posted since there is nothing more fun than a FTF itch festering away at you. “Do I go?” “Do I NOT go because it might have been found already?” “Crap! Okay. I won’t go…” “No, I’m gonna go anyway…” “Screw it. If it’s still there tomorrow… Maybe I’ll go… ” : )

We all used to ‘burn’ each other on the FTFs, it truly added a great element to the game. But… Then again: If it’s not fun for everyone, then I can easily see the ‘suck’ element in this FTF game as well.

Skipping over the entire notion that a cache is or isn’t worth going to, as a FTF cache or if it’s now not… It’s still a cache I haven’t done and it’s still a cache I would have been more than likely to do anyway, FTF or not. Heh. I’m just getting to it a lot sooner than I normally would have! As it is with most of us FTF hounds, I rarely spot a FTF in an area I haven’t already ‘carpet cached’ anyway, so it’s not like we’re just there for the FTF. We’re there to keep the house clean, so to speak!

Honestly, seems that if you don’t have the FTF in your hand an hour after it’s posted (around here in Southern Maine at least) it’s probably gonna be a ‘regular’ cache for you. You then have to truly gamble at that point. Most likely the FTF geocacher is now on their way home and still unable to log the find, yet you still have to decide what it is most likely by then… A FTF… or a regular cache with the potential it might still be a first to find. That’s how I look at it…

No matter where you are in the country, I just think the FTF runners in the area simply have to decide what the proper etiquette is and try to stick to it out of politeness and of friendship. I know that if I was approached with this question, I would adhere to whatever agreement we had come to. After all, LOL. I hardly play by any rules when it comes to the FTF, but adhering to cache etiquette? That’s something I can easily do.

: )

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...d-5b10835d42f5

This was going tobe a great first to find. Was posted over a year with no takers. The guy that logged it two days before we got there never even logged there find on the site.
    I have been looking forward to going to see this place. I am planning on going this year.
    Blazing Troll

I can go along with the general consensus in the previous posts. As far as FTFs go I'd have to accidently be on site when the cache is 'planted' to get one because the pursuit isn't what interests me in geocaching. I spend all day in the field or registry of deeds hunting for the elusive deed call or property corner. Geocaching for me is just another facet of being outdoors and I appreciate the location and the craftiness of the hide more than the numbers.

Now that I've had my say...I'll go along with dave1976 and say I log my finds (the few I've been to) when it's convenient for me.

Default FTF's

I have given up on trying for FTF's because I live too near Haffy and Laughing Terry
    The trouble with doing nothing is that it is hard to know when you're finished.