vb:literal>

Thread: RE: Firefighterjake's Favorite Caches for the Greater Bangor Area

Default RE: Firefighterjake's Favorite Caches for the Greater Bangor Area

Disclaimer: These are my own personal favorite caches and were listed as a way to help new cachers and visitors to this area who may be limited by time constraints. These caches are not meant to be exclusive as new caches are added continually and there are many other great caches in the area . . . these are simply some of my favorites. I have grouped them into my favorite traditional caches, multi caches, puzzle caches, micro caches and since I particularly like caches involving history I have included some info on historical caches.

The list below was put together unsolicited by myself and is not approved or disapproved by other members of geocachingmaine.org. I strongly encourage all cachers to review the cache description pages which are available at geocaching.com, a free service that provides a way to search for caches in a particular area, description of caches including the terrain and other special consideration and a rating system that will give a cacher some idea of how difficult or easy a cache may be. It is strongly encouraged to visit all caches in an area because each cache is unique in its setting and its origin.

The list set forth by myself does not encompass all the caches in the greater Bangor area. This list will provide you insight as to what I consider my favorite caches in the area. These selections are my favorites and the list in no way represents caches that must be visited or should be visited.

Favorite Traditional Caches

Ol' Swimming Hole (GCKWAE) . . . a very pretty spot on the river and a clever hide

The Ol' Swimmin' Hole (GCVRHZ) . . . beautiful falls nearby and a good hide . . . must be something to do with swimming holes

Casey's Cache (GCGVPD) . . . a nice walk and a pretty pond . . . and all close to one of Maine's biggest cities

Coming Round the Bend of Rooster Rock (GCVK50) . . . picturesque spot on the river in an out-of-the-way place

Nature Walk (GCGG3R) . . . a scenic walk with a nice stream . . . shouldn't be missed

Cascade Cache (GCGND5) . . . the real beauty with this easily found cache is the great little pocket park which can best be appreciated in the summer when the fountain is going

Maine Hop in the Bangor City Forest (GCGT94) . . . there are several great caches located in the Bangor City Forest . . . this one gives you a 2 mile or so walk

Marina Meander (GCV53V) . . . a very picturesque point on the Penobscot with only a short walk.

Favorite Multi Caches

You Sank My Battleship (GCB688) . . . it may take awhile to complete, but this will give you a mini-tour of some of the best sights Bangor has to offer and the hide is darn clever to boot. This is a must-do cache!

Favorite Puzzle Caches

Dyslexic's Nightmare (GCJ938) . . . so many choices and coord configurations . . . a nice tribute to folks who deal with this problem

Favorite Micro Caches

Terminal Island (GCV9CM) . . . nice area and a wicked devious hide. Finding this cache gives the seeker a real sense of accomplishment.

Remember When . . . Bangor Twin Drive-In (GCV9D3) . . . interested in buying your own drive-in? This place is for sale . . . a nicely done hide

Kenduskeag Park Micro (GCV5JF) . . . a nice hide and an even nicer area. Particularly awe-inspiring after a heavy rain or in Spring during snow-melt.

Favorite Historical Caches

Joshua Chamberlain (GCGGYJ) . . . Maine's Civil War hero is still revered to this day and with good reason. A nice pocket park and memorial to this legendary man

The Pound (GCJXX5) . . . It was struck by a car and damaged a while back, but this is still a neat thing to see as something that was used in a much earlier and simpler time when folks needed somewhere to pen up those animals roaming around at large

Dorothea Dix (GCJB71) . . . a tribute to Hampden's heroine who championed the rights of the mentally ill

These are some of my favorite picks . . . our cachers may disagree with these picks in which case I would encourage them to add their own ideas on what threads they would recommend to visitors to the Greater Bangor Area.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Disclaimer: The list below was put together unsolicited by Firefighterjake and is not endorsed by other members of geocachingmaine.org. I strongly encourage all cachers to review the cache description pages which is available at geocaching.com, a free service that provides a way to search for caches in a particular area, description of caches including the terrain and other special consideration and a rating system that will give a cacher some idea of how difficult or easy a cache may be gotten. It is strongly encouraged to visit all caches in an area because each cache is unique in its setting and its origin.

The list set forth by Firefirejake does NOT encompass all the caches in the greater Bangor area. This list will provide you insight as to what FirefighterJake considers the best in the area. His selections are his choice and the list in no way represents caches that must be visited or should be visited.
    Last edited by Trezurs*-R-*Fun; 03-26-2006 at 07:58 AM.

would the fort knox caches fit into the bangor area caches??
    Last edited by Hiram357; 03-26-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Continuing with the sarcasm, -- Jake your spared--. Making a list is something I do for my children, telling them when to go to bed, when to brush their teeth what clothes they can and can't wear, when to be home, not to play with matches. I even pack their lunch for them so they don't eat all junk food. For the adults in my family, I give them the resources they need to make an educated decision and trust them to do so. If my wife burns her finger with a match I don't say,"I told you so." After all she is an adult and can read on the match box that those things can be dangerous and painful if not used correctly. Then again maybe she enjoys burning her finger and she'll continue to do it continually, what the hey, she's an adult and doesn't need someone to tell her what she will and won't like.

I'll second the vote on the pound and the chamberlin cache
    Last edited by Hiram357; 03-26-2006 at 09:54 PM.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.