vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: WASS issues

Default RE: WASS issues

OK, right up front I kind of expect to get razzed for having a Magellan, but lately I've noticed a problem and I don't know if it's just me or due to something I've done so I would appreciate any honest answers to this question.

For the past few days I've been trying to get a WAAS lock and my GPSr won't establish a lock . . . the best I can get is EPE 16 feet. This makes it darn near impossible for me to do a cache hide.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else has any similar problems . . . which could possibly point to a problem with the satellite.

Alternatively, has anyone else had this happen to them? I was up on a hill the other day with a whole lot of high-powered transmitter antennas and was wondering if this could have done something to the GPSr unit.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Post Its moved

Seems to me that I read that they moved the WASS sat to the west and we might not be able to see it. This is in anticipation of a new sat that will provide better coverage later this year.

from http://gps.faa.gov/programs/waas/non...Users-text.htm

Information for Non-Aviation Users
    This page has been prepared to inform non-aviation users what they can expect as a result of the upcoming WAAS GEO satellite move.
    The move of the AOR-W satellite to the west may have a significant impact on non-aviation users on the East Coast. In its new position, the AOR-W satellite will appear lower on the horizon to users situated at ground level. As a result, the satellite may be obstructed by mountains, buildings, trees, or other types of obstructions that sit to the west of the user.
    This situation is temporary. A new WAAS satellite (PanAmSat) comes on-line in the fall of 2006 that will restore service to users on the East Coast affected by the temporary outage

A house is not a home without a cat.

Cool! So... If you get home late, you can just tell the spouse: "they moved the satellite".

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    Seems to me that I read that they moved the WASS sat to the west and we might not be able to see it. This is in anticipation of a new sat that will provide better coverage later this year.

This page has been prepared to inform non-aviation users what they can expect as a result of the upcoming WAAS GEO satellite move.
    The move of the AOR-W satellite to the west may have a significant impact on non-aviation users on the East Coast. In its new position, the AOR-W satellite will appear lower on the horizon to users situated at ground level. As a result, the satellite may be obstructed by mountains, buildings, trees, or other types of obstructions that sit to the west of the user.
    This situation is temporary. A new WAAS satellite (PanAmSat) comes on-line in the fall of 2006 that will restore service to users on the East Coast affected by the temporary outage
    Thanks, I was wondering why I was having so many issues with that lately

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    Thanks, I was wondering why I was having so many issues with that lately
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby

Very interesting . . . so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do . . . I have a couple of caches that I would like to place and I'm a bit reluctant to place them without being able to use the WAAS and WAAS averaging. Is there a better time of day to try to get WAAS?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Very interesting . . . so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do . . . I have a couple of caches that I would like to place and I'm a bit reluctant to place them without being able to use the WAAS and WAAS averaging. Is there a better time of day to try to get WAAS?

Here's a suggestion, borrow a Garmin......LOL. (I couldn't resist)

I set out my first 5 caches without WAAS. I used my old Yellow eTrex personal navigator which doesn't even support WAAS. I averaged several readings by walking away then coming back to the exact spot and marking the coords. To date no one has had any issue with those coords. I would walk approx. 50 feet away in several different directions then come back to the intended hiding spot and mark each reading separately. I would repeat this 5 - 10 times depending on the tree cover. I would throw away the coord. that appeared to deviate the most and average the rest. This seems to work well, at least for me..

I've placed all my caches using the same method TRF has with my 'Ol Yeller and had few complaints about coords. The only thing I have done different is come back on different days to get my averages. About 30 times on Battleship, but I can be obsessive. Just come back to the cache as if you don't know where it is and see how close it gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If the coordinates you establish are WAY off from what cache finders are experiencing, you can adjust them later and nobody will blame you.

d’76 Guest

Ask Mainiac, I couldnt pick up a signal Friday night at his house. I gave up and put it away. We went caching on Sunday and the best I could do for a long time at his house 160 ft. I would do better using a compass and a good hint. I havent had it on since Sunday but I was able to get around 16 ft. +/- I usually can do better than that. Maybe its just in our head