vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: signature items

Default signature items

Hi, can anyone tell us where we can find a selection of items to buy for a signature item, and maybe the customized cards and lamination stuff that we have seen from other cachers. We are new to this and are thinking of a signature item. Thanks, Dave and Gail and Shamis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Gail
    Hi, can anyone tell us where we can find a selection of items to buy for a signature item, and maybe the customized cards and lamination stuff that we have seen from other cachers. We are new to this and are thinking of a signature item. Thanks, Dave and Gail and Shamis
    I am not sure what to say about where to buy sig items, Mardens, Big Al's, ebay....... It all depends what you are looking for. As for the cards I jeneraly buy inkjet card stock for buisness cards and print them on my printer. For Lamination, I use that for my TB tags and for Cache instructions and generally go get it done at Staples. I have considered buying my own laminator but just have not justified the expence cause I can usually do most of my laminating for less than $20 a year so it does not make sence to spend the money but it would be nice to be able to just dothem here at the house. One thing I do is lay them out so they fit on a page of paper with room for borders and then have them do them as 1 sheet and cut them myself.

Thanks Robt, that was a Quick reply, appreciate it. Not sure if we are going to do a sig. item or not, we have only found 5 caches so far but I think we are hooked and are planning on hiding our first cache as soon as the roads dry up a bit. We do a lot of camping up in the Jo-Mary and Millinocket area, so it will probably be up that way at some nice spot. Keep an eye out.

I got a Laminator at Walmart for $24 and the business card size laminating packets are $2.50 or so for 50 of them. I also picked up 5x7 packets for doing my cache sheets and document size for a number of things. It's fast and easy to use too.

For signature items a lot of people use something that ties in with their user name (my rubber chickens) and other people actually make something for a signature item. It's all up to you.

Welcome and Happy Caching

My best suggestion would be to not jump right into making signature items right way. Hold off for a bit and that will give you time to think about what you want to do and make for signature items. I do not put our signature item in all the caches I do. Some people do. It all depends on how much it cost to make your signature item. If you making a cheap button or magnet that only cost $.70 then you can afford to put one in every cache if you want to. Some people are spending more on there signature items and are only leaving them in selective caches. So take you time and think of something different and creative.
    Blazing Troll

Hmmm . . . what can I say? I agree with everyone else. Like Attroll said, I wouldn't rush into things. Do a few caches first and collect a few signature items to see what others are doing for their signature items . . . and to see if this is something you want to do long-term. As Laughing Terry said, most folks try to go with something that is unique and ties into their user name . . . and his rubber chickens definitely fit that bill. And as Robt said, you can get laminating done at Staples . . . although I happen to have a laminator in my office that I use for my tags that I attach to my signature item ladders.

Incidentally, welcome to the world of geocaching and in particular to geocachingmaine.org.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Thank you!!

Thanks for the reply, Firefighter Jake.. I Have one of your signature items from a cache we found last weekend, ladder #33. Thats neat, I have a few friends that are firefighters. We took the item from the McArthy cache, and so far out of the 5 caches we found we have 4 signature items. Thanks again, Dave and Gail and Shamis!

Hi Dave and Gail. We do most of our geocaching as a family. That is me(the Mom) and 2 kid. I love to find signature items and just started to pick them up. We have found about 25 caches so far. I took some time thinking on our signature item and just recently decided based on it being a family activity. There's no hurry.

I ordered some sig. item coins, personalized, which were up for bid on e-bay......just received them, they're cool. :} I also ordered a micro-cache that I plan to place soon, which I've been told by a muggle (when I explained the sport to him) is "borderline evil."

I'm pretty new to all this myself, but have fun with it & look at other people's sig. items (as recommended in a previous reply) to get some ideas for what you can do, for yourself. Good luck!
    To Cache or NOT to cache.....IS there a question?

I didn't answer the question. We are making our sig items, turning tops on a lathe. Got that idea from another cacher who is turning something also.