vb:literal>

View Poll Results: When you're looking for a good smaller cache container what would you use?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lock N' Lock containers

13 61.90%
  • Nalgene bottle

3 14.29%
  • Other

3 14.29%
  • It doesn't really matter what the container is to me

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Container Thoughts. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Mardens often has them as well, and cheaper. I was at the one in Ellsworth last week and they had a bunch of the smaller ".30 cal" boxes and a size a little larger than the ".50 cal" boxes. I think they were $3 and $5, respectively.
    I haven't seen them in the Marden's in Waterville. I've looked, but I haven't wanted them enough to ask about them, however.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry
    I like ammo cans but can't seem to find them very often. Anyone have a local supplier?
    There is also another Military surplus outlet in Augusta on the lower end of Western Avenue near the rotary. Their prices are about the same as Newport's, so shop around. If you want to order from an online source here is another good place. colemans.com heck, they'll sell you a 2 1/2 ton ten-wheel drive truck for $7,500.00, now that would make a dandy geobuggy wouldn't it. LOL
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

I've had good luck with the Aladdin wide mouth thermos--I take out the glass liner and spray paint black. As long as the finder screws the cover on, it is 100% water proof. These seem to be pretty common at lawn sales for .50 to a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    go to home depot and browse the outdoor electrical... they have lots of nifty stuff there... i can't go too in detail because i have a future cache planned with some of that stuff....
    Can anyone tell me why all I can picture is Hiram rigging up some cache so that it gives the geo-cacher an electrical shock when they open it? I mean, maybe it's just me, but for some reason I could picture him trying to do this.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

I think he is making an urban cache that will look like any other local utlity.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Maine Military Surplus in Newport and Bangor have them usually. I like the Brewer one better, but they are not cheap there, $7 for a .50 cal I think. Mardens often has them as well, and cheaper. I was at the one in Ellsworth last week and they had a bunch of the smaller ".30 cal" boxes and a size a little larger than the ".50 cal" boxes. I think they were $3 and $5, respectively.

I was at Maine Military in Brewer yesterday hoping to stock up on some ammo cans and they only had a few of the large ones -- no small ones. I was going to call today and see if they're getting an order soon or if the Newport store has any. I may have to check in with Mardens.

Update: Just got off the phone after speaking with the folks at both the Brewer and Newport Stores . . . both are cleaned out of the 7.62 mm ammo cans.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

In southern Maine you can pick up ammo cans at the Army Barracks surplus store on Paine Road near the Maine Mall.
    Prices are $4 for a 30 cal & $7 for a 50 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    In southern Maine you can pick up ammo cans at the Army Barracks surplus store on Paine Road near the Maine Mall.
    Prices are $4 for a 30 cal & $7 for a 50 cal.
    Good prices! You may want to gbring a few to the next geocaching event. I'm sure many people would appreciate it.

HAHA!! no it wasn't going to shock anyone but now that you mention it i think i'll make a special FTF suprise!!

and to keep on topic, the military supply in Newport has the cheapest ammo cans around.... well had... i cleaned em out of 30cal, but they're getting more, they also have the 50cal and the really really big ones, the 30cal were only $4 and the larger ones were like $5 to $10
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.