vb:literal>

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Greater Unity Area Event

Default RE: Greater Unity Area Event

Hello all . . . I've just got permission to put out three more caches in three new areas in Unity on trails maintained by a non-profit group called the Unity Barn Raisers. You can look for these to come out in another week or two incidentally. . . . I've just got to get the caches put together and do a little historical research on one or two of them . . . for those of you who know the area I'll give you a tease . . . one will be located near the old tannery/marina and another may be near the old fairgrounds.

However, the purpose of this thread isn't to get folks excited about more caches in the area, but rather (it occurred to me as I e-mailed the UBR) that this group has been awfully good to us. Here's the caches they've allowed us to place so far. . . .

Connor Mill Trail
    CommUnity Trail (GCQ3GM)
    Connor Grist Mill (GCTY7J)
    Minnie Weeeee (GCQW39)

Triplet Park
    Out of the Ashes (GCQA13)

Field of Dreams
    Multi in a Mile (GCPRFR)

While I was doing some research for my future cache placements I noticed that a few of these trails are incomplete . . . this non-profit group wants to extend the trails and form an inter-connected walking/bike path around town. Since the UBR has been so good to us I went out on a limb and expressed interest in trying to help them out some by possibly doing a CITO event or an ETFFC (Extend Trails For Future Caches) event.

I have since received an e-mail inviting me to a meeting of their Trail Committee on April 4th at 5 p.m. At this time I would like to see if anyone might be interested in going with me to this meeting . . . maybe one of our veteran ambassadors of goodwill??? Also, more to the point, is this something anyone might be willing to help out on . . . either a CITO event or a ETFFC event (with of course it depending on your schedule and the date)?

I'm just thinking off the cuff here, but if there is enough interest I wouldn't mind hosting either a CITO or ETFFC event with the idea being work for a few hours in the morning, followed by a BBQ or grabbing a pizza at a local shop and then allowing some time in the afternoon for anyone who wants to grab a few local caches that they may have missed.

Anyone interested in the concept or am I way out of line with my thinking? If nothing else, I figure I'll personally volunteer to help out some since I truly appreciate what this group has allowed us to do.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Hello all . . . I've just got permission to put out three more caches in three new areas in Unity on trails maintained by a non-profit group called the Unity Barn Raisers. You can look for these to come out in another week or two incidentally. . . . I've just got to get the caches put together and do a little historical research on one or two of them . . . for those of you who know the area I'll give you a tease . . . one will be located near the old tannery/marina and another may be near the old fairgrounds.

However, the purpose of this thread isn't to get folks excited about more caches in the area, but rather (it occurred to me as I e-mailed the UBR) that this group has been awfully good to us. Here's the caches they've allowed us to place so far. . . .

Connor Mill Trail
    CommUnity Trail (GCQ3GM)
    Connor Grist Mill (GCTY7J)
    Minnie Weeeee (GCQW39)

Triplet Park
    Out of the Ashes (GCQA13)

Field of Dreams
    Multi in a Mile (GCPRFR)

While I was doing some research for my future cache placements I noticed that a few of these trails are incomplete . . . this non-profit group wants to extend the trails and form an inter-connected walking/bike path around town. Since the UBR has been so good to us I went out on a limb and expressed interest in trying to help them out some by possibly doing a CITO event or an ETFFC (Extend Trails For Future Caches) event.

I have since received an e-mail inviting me to a meeting of their Trail Committee on April 4th at 5 p.m. At this time I would like to see if anyone might be interested in going with me to this meeting . . . maybe one of our veteran ambassadors of goodwill??? Also, more to the point, is this something anyone might be willing to help out on . . . either a CITO event or a ETFFC event (with of course it depending on your schedule and the date)?

I'm just thinking off the cuff here, but if there is enough interest I wouldn't mind hosting either a CITO or ETFFC event with the idea being work for a few hours in the morning, followed by a BBQ or grabbing a pizza at a local shop and then allowing some time in the afternoon for anyone who wants to grab a few local caches that they may have missed.

Anyone interested in the concept or am I way out of line with my thinking? If nothing else, I figure I'll personally volunteer to help out some since I truly appreciate what this group has allowed us to do.
    Kudos to you for taking the first step, I was in Unity caching this weekend and I am not so sure that a cito event would be needed since the town is already so clean. I like the idea of continuing the trails. Its a great start that they already have. But making it long would just make it that much better.

If your going to host an event to lengthen the trials you may want to choose a time outside of bug season. I think that is something I would be interested in

Grand idea!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

you've got me convinced
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

It is beautiful there. I think I have previously proclaimed that I want to live there. And after having been there again this weekend, I noted that it is the Unity Barn Raisers building that I want to live in - lol - how ironic! Suppose they will let me move in? It is a neat little building with lots of character - just what I am looking for!

I welcome the opportunity to visit the area!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I'm in for any kind of CITO or trail maintenance. We all appreciate what the Barn Raisers are doing and appreciate being able to put caches on their trails as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Smile Great idea

I attended Unity College a few years back, and love the area. We are in if our weekend is open.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Thanks for the support . . . I kind of figured there would be a handful of folks who might be up for doing an event of this sort . . . and then getting together for some food and a few caches afterwards. I'll keep everyone informed of any happenings and if this seems like it's a "go" I'll check around to see what weekend day would work the best for the majority of the folks who are truly interested.

Dave1776: Yeah, doing this before or after bug season would most definitely be a good idea since blackfly season is never fun . . . and you're right, not a lot of trash that I could see on these trails, although there is one area that might be a CITO possibility . . . to tell you the truth though I would be more interested in helping them to extend their trails (I just love cutting down stuff with the chainsaw!)

Beachcomber: If you're talking about the new office for the UBR (on Depot Street) which is the brick building that was the old bank building that was vacant for a very long time before UBR bought it, fixed it up and then recently moved there from their old building (the old Masonic Hall) when they converted that over to a community building/community gym.

To everyone else who has expressed interest: I've taken down your names and will get back to you all as soon as I hear anything.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

I did a short presentation last night for the Unity Barn Raisers in which I explained geo-caching (don't worry, I made sure to tell them that I was not an expert!), how it's done, where caches are located, etc. I concluded the 15-minute presentation by thanking the group for allowing us to place and search for the five caches on their trails and I also told them that there were a number of us folks here who would like to give something back to them by donating some time to work on the trails.

The powerpoint slideshow was very well received (incidentally if anyone wants a copy for your own use feel free to let me know and I will e-mail you a copy or send a copy via CD) with lots of photos showing folks of all ages searching for caches, finding caches, etc.

In fact, the UBR folks asked me to come to their next meeting in May. I believe it will be on May 2nd (Tuesday) at 5 p.m. The reason they asked me back . . . most were so excited about geo-caching that they wanted to actually go out and learn how to search for caches starting with some of the ones on their own trail system.

I agreed to come back . . . and I'm hoping that some local geo-cachers (CoolClay, TRF, Noreasta, Smitty, Haffy, Hiram, etc.) may be able to help me by also attending so that these folks (8-12) are not gathered around one GPSr.

Ideally I'd love it if another 2-4 geocachers could come out to help show these folks how to use the GPSr and how to search out the cache . . . this would be an excellent opportunity to show some potential new geo-cachers (or at least some supporters) why geo-caching is so appealing. Anyone interested . . . besides you don't want them to think that Magellan GPSrs are the best do you?

If anyone is interested I'll post more info as it comes in and will confirm with you the date/time/etc. Maybe I'll even make this an "event" so you can get "credit" . . . not that it's about the numbers though, right?

I also let these folks know that some of us would like to work on their trails. Tess, the UBR President/Chair, will be getting back to me with some dates and possible projects. I mentioned extending trails might be particularly appealing to us and she mentioned that this might be a possibility . . . although they also are looking at creating parking areas, building bridges (more bouncy bridges??? ), etc.

Once again, I'll make this an event so that you can get credit and we can do lunch afterwards and find some local caches if you haven't found all of the ones in the immediate area. I'll post info when I get it, we can set the date/times (I was very specific that we wanted to do this before or after blackfly/mosquito season so it may either be this month or in September) that work for us, choose the project, etc. and then I'll confirm with everyone so that I don't end up being the only person working on that day.

Finally, I mentioned that one of our members (who shall remain nameless) wants to live in the UBR office to which they said, "If the price is right, we'll sell."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    one GPSr.

Ideally I'd love it if another 2-4 geocachers could come out to help show these folks how to use the GPSr and how to search out the cache . . . this would be an excellent opportunity to show some potential new geo-cachers (or at least some supporters) why geo-caching is so appealing. Anyone interested . . . besides you don't want them to think that Magellan GPSrs are the best do you?
    personally, i think you should ask JUST magellan users
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"