vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Restaurant in Augusta

Default New Restaurant in Augusta

There's a new restaurant in the mall in Augusta, just across from Kohl's/Circuit City, etc. Red Robin is known for their gourmet burgers. I saw the place a week or so ago to get to get the "A Sporting Good Time" cache, and decided that it would be a good place to bring my Mother for the traditional "take-Mom-out-for-lunch-on-her-birthday". OK - we get there, walk up to the door, and one of the 2 people out front in Red Robin uniforms asks "May I help you"? Um, are you open, I ask? Well, no, he said. We're training staff right now, and are only open to family, friends and by invitation.

Sheesh, I said. We drove quite a way to bring my Mother here for her 85th birthday. Well, he said, can you come back in 1/2 an hour? I'll let you in then.

OK, no problem, and we went back to the car to share the newspaper. Fifteen minutes later he comes to the car and asks if we're ready. Sure!

As we get to the front of the restaurant, he asks us to wait a minute, and explains that the staff is in training. He gives us 4 coupons (there were 4 of us), explaining that 3 were for burgers and one for a salad. He also gives us a dessert coupon. And then tells us that the meal will be FREE!

To make a story short, the meal was excellent, and we plan on going back. The waiter brought us a bill at the end, explaining - for training - that this is what we would normally pay (about $45) and then said, "but there's no charge". We also got a sample "Orange Smoothie", they had a "birthday chant" for Mom, and she got balloons and a complimentary sundae.

OK - was I paid for this "unsolicited testimonial"? Well, not exactly. I would have recommended it anyway. But the story is longer because of our experience.

Red Robin officially opens April 3, but maybe you 'll get lucky before then like we did.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! only you....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Sounds like a quality place . . . I was reading in the Kennebec Journal today that on the opening day a certain percentage of the proceeds will be given to the Augusta FD as well.

I had a similar experience with the Texas Roadhouse in Bangor . . . the manager stopped off at one of our stations and gave out a whole bunch of free passes for the "practice" nights. We were "limited" to what we could order, but I don't mind telling you that I don't think I've ever ate so much of so many different things.

Of course there is a pay-off for these folks since I've since been back a couple of times and I have recommended the place to many other folks since the food is wicked good.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

i love the Texas Roadhouse! That was where I had my first job (back in the highschool days) we used to take the sweet rolls (dough) and throw em in the deep fryer and eat em with the honeymustard sauce.... *sigh* the good ol' days

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    i love the Texas Roadhouse! That was where I had my first job (back in the highschool days) we used to take the sweet rolls (dough) and throw em in the deep fryer and eat em with the honeymustard sauce.... *sigh* the good ol' days
    Where was this? I thought the Texas Roadhouse in Bangor was the only one in Maine.

Incidentally, I don't know about the honey-mustard sauce, but I love those rolls with the cinnamon-sweetened butter.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

If you like Chinese food, we went to the new buffet in Lewiston next to the closed AMES last night. Different things, Mongolian Bar and Sushi included. Best we've had from Gardiner to Brunswick and across. Four adults and 2 kids came to $65.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Where was this? I thought the Texas Roadhouse in Bangor was the only one in Maine.

Incidentally, I don't know about the honey-mustard sauce, but I love those rolls with the cinnamon-sweetened butter.
    it was uhhh... *cough*inohio*cough*

LOL!

It's OK . . . we still like you.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    It's OK . . . we still like you.
    Hey! Some people were born in Maine and their parents never let them leave the state. Others. like RULOST2? and I, were born elsewhere and CHOSE Maine as a place to live.

Sheesh! I've lived in 4 countries, visited probably 30, lived in 6 states and probably visited 40. Can't beat Maine!