vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleting found logs...

Hybrid View

Default Deleting found logs...

Nothing worse than having to delete a found log on one of your owned caches. Some of the best ones yet...

"Well, we could see it from a distance but there were too many people around,"

Or, "I couldn't quite reach it."

O, "We found the cover."

Or, my ever favorite...."I couldn't get it open."

*sigh*

Last time I checked, it was Log=Find and No Log=No find

I agree with the whole let people play they way they want to play...but not signing the log??!?!?

Gotta agree with you . . . hasn't happened to any of my caches yet though. Personally, I want to sign the log and make sure that what I think is the cache is the cache and not just an old tupperware lid that has blown under a rock or something! The way I figure it, if I can't make a log at the time due to muggles in the area, I'll come back . . . but this is just me.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo

Or, my ever favorite...."I couldn't get it open."
    I have been to caches that I couldn't open - twice that I recall offhand. Once, it was a glass continer and we just couldn't get the screw-on cap off (corroded? cross threaded? I don't know...). I didn't want to risk breaking the container, so we put the container back, continued on, and later logged the fact that we couldn't get it open, .

The second time, it was a flimzy plastic container that was frozen into the ground. We probably could have smashed the container to get to the log, but we left it as it was and logged it as a find.

I also believe that the goal is to FIND THE CACHE. I refuse to log a DNF because of some cache owners cheap containers or lousy placement.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I have been to caches that I couldn't open - twice that I recall offhand. Once, it was a glass continer and we just couldn't get the screw-on cap off (corroded? cross threaded? I don't know...). I didn't want to risk breaking the container, so we put the container back, continued on, and later logged the fact that we couldn't get it open, .

The second time, it was a flimzy plastic container that was frozen into the ground. We probably could have smashed the container to get to the log, but we left it as it was and logged it as a find.

I also believe that the goal is to FIND THE CACHE. I refuse to log a DNF because of some cache owners cheap containers or lousy placement.

You forgot mine. You thought it was frozen in when it was actually epoxyed so you don't pull it out but unscrew the lid. LOL

For future reference...Lefty Loosie, righty tighty.......

I didn't complain though. Sure looked like a find to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry
    You forgot mine. You thought it was frozen in when it was actually epoxyed so you don't pull it out but unscrew the lid. LOL
    Which reinforces my point! Your cache was encrusted with frozen dirt, making it seem like it was frozen in, and I didn't want to screw with someone else's container. Without the frozen dirt, it probably would have been obvious that the container was secured. But again, I'm not gonna use force to get into a container.

(Sheesh! I'll "losey-goosey" you the next time I see you! LOL!)

One of the top cachers in the world (who shall remail nameless) is known for questionable finds. In one of the cacher's logs the cacher stops at a state park a few minutes after closing, and in an instance of doing what's right decided not to enter. In the next instance, he/she takes a picture of the closed gate from inside the car, logs the cache as a find and says I hope that's close enough to call it a find.

My general stance is if the finder and the cache hider feel it's ok to call it a find, let it be a find. But, it's hard to agree with that practice when you have people logging finds in a manner like I described.

I say that it is at the cache owners discretion, if they want to accept this as an acceptable find then so be it, who am I to tell him what to do. I myself will allways sighn the log and if i can not I either A, do not make and entry or B, log a dnf on it.

As a cache owner I do not go over my logs and delete finds if i can not find a log entry cause I do not take it that seriously. I do not feel that the cache is the real prize it is the journey and places we go cause of geocaching that is the true hidden treasures.

( makes note to pick up more log books so that he can swap them out on the upcoming cache maintance day coming up and start checking and deleteing )

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    My general stance is if the finder and the cache hider feel it's ok to call it a find, let it be a find. But, it's hard to agree with that practice when you have people logging finds in a manner like I described.
    I agree with you, too. FINDING the cache is the key. Micros, especially, can be tough to find in a muggle-intensive environment, but FINDING makes the difference. In the case you cited, who knows if the cacher would have found the cache in the daytime, when the park was open, and no muggles to be seen.

Cachers must use discretion though....here's a excerpt from a log from another cacher in a similar situation. I have loads and loads of respect for the decision made here not to jeopardize the integrity of the cache or the placement.

"I actually spotted the cache but there was a muggle parked almost on top of it. I tried to figure out how to grab it but decided the best way was to go back into town and get a bite to eat and come back. I came back and now there was a car parked on both sides of it as well as a policeman across the street giving someone a ticket. As descretion is the better part of valor I decided to put this one off for another day."

Also, if there are unusual circumstances, than logs may be allowed in that instance. I'm referring to the normal, everyday, cache is whole, complete, not frozen, or been ripped apart by bears. Those times call for individual attention.

I like Sudonim's philosophy - it echos my own. I have recently placed a puzzle mutli cache. Two of the locations are in a very high muggle area. A person could wait hours and possiby still not be able to retrieve the cache. I have stated that these can be logged a find if they are able to solve the puzzle , find and sign the log at the final location. To get the clues, you'd have to be pretty close to the caches anyways. It can't always about the specifics - sometimes you gotta just let people have fun with your cache.