Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deleting found logs...

I have found caches that I could not physically access the log book due to placement+weather. My rule of thumb has been if you can put your hand on the container (and accessing the container isn't part of a puzzle) but you can't remove it from the location due to being frozen in, you have still found the cache and should deserve to log the find. I found one a month ago that was half submerged in ice, with the lid loose. I could see the log book, but would have had to chip about a quart of ice out of the hole to put my hand on the log book (which would have been waterlogged beyond use anyway).

I did another cache this winter that was an ammo box under a log. I loosened the box enough to move it around, but the log was there to stay and the ground was frozen. In order to get the box open, I would have had to do enough damage to the log that the cache wouldn't be hidden anymore.

If I can see the cache (or suspect I know where it is) but there are muggles around, I'll wait, orbit the block or come back another day.

Again, this game is kind of like golf, you aren't playing against others, just a challenge for yourself. If you are in the same county as the cache and decide to log it, you are only cheating yourself. You have to decide in your own mind if you made a "fair" find or not.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
    ~ Groucho Marx

i did one cache (micro) where the paper was so wet that it started to crumble when i took it out. needless to say, i didn't sign it. but i did email the owner - the next cacher couldn't sign it either. i claimed it as a find. another cache, i couldn't get the log book out so just put my card in. i also claimed that one. there have been several cache containers that were almost impossible to open. one took me 15 minutes to get the cover off. that's why i like ammo boxes! now i usually carry extra freezer strength ziplock bags and extra logbooks in case there is no log book (that's happened twice.) i also have extra pens, pencils and sharpeners.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    i did one cache (micro) where the paper was so wet that it started to crumble when i took it out. needless to say, i didn't sign it. but i did email the owner - the next cacher couldn't sign it either. i claimed it as a find. another cache, i couldn't get the log book out so just put my card in. i also claimed that one. there have been several cache containers that were almost impossible to open. one took me 15 minutes to get the cover off. that's why i like ammo boxes! now i usually carry extra freezer strength ziplock bags and extra logbooks in case there is no log book (that's happened twice.) i also have extra pens, pencils and sharpeners.
    I could have written this comment! Thanks, Becket!

There have been a few times when I have found the cache, written a note, indicated that I left a beach treasure magnet sig item and then not actually signed my name! ai yi yi - you can imagine the begging and pleadiing I have had to do on one such as brdad's Battleship to let me keep the find - lol
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I like Sudonim's philosophy - it echos my own. I have recently placed a puzzle mutli cache. Two of the locations are in a very high muggle area. A person could wait hours and possiby still not be able to retrieve the cache. I have stated that these can be logged a find if they are able to solve the puzzle , find and sign the log at the final location. To get the clues, you'd have to be pretty close to the caches anyways. It can't always about the specifics - sometimes you gotta just let people have fun with your cache.

Ya know the ones that really bug me are the logs that say "this is my 2nd or 3rd time trying to find this cache" or "I didn't find it the other day..." or "Much easir to find on the 2nd try..." BUT THERE'S NO DNFS LOGGED! what's up with that!?!?!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Hiram, glad to see someone else noticing that. When I started caching, I didn't log every DNF, figured "I'll get back to it", but some of them are gone and it will help the cache owner if I log a DNF and 1 or 2 others do the same. I have a DNF list that I want to clean up, but I log them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    Ya know the ones that really bug me are the logs that say "this is my 2nd or 3rd time trying to find this cache" or "I didn't find it the other day..." or "Much easir to find on the 2nd try..." BUT THERE'S NO DNFS LOGGED! what's up with that!?!?!
    Some people don't log DNFs unless they give up. Others don't log them at all for fear they might look bad. I think some new cachers don't log them because they just don't realize yet. I was one of those at first then I figured it out and have logged over 50 DNFs since. LOL

The other day I DNFd but didn't log it because I didn't have the cache description with me and it wasn't a serious search, more of a "Oh a cache is close by" LOL I went back the next day with the description and found it though. I did tell in the log about my first aborted attempt.

As a new geocacher, I started to get scared after a particularly bad day (3 DNF's, one find). The amount of finds I had logged, was almost the same amount as my list of DNF's! VERY disheartening. BUT it made me a better cacher, because I LOG all DNF's and didn't want my DNF # to exceed my Finds #. So now I look longer, harder, and smarter. ;} And if my GPSr gets squirrel-y, I try another day. I STILL log it as a DNF, though, because I attempted it, and Did Not Find it (hence the DNF abbreviation?? lol).
    To Cache or NOT to cache.....IS there a question?

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry
    Some people don't log DNFs unless they give up. Others don't log them at all for fear they might look bad. I think some new cachers don't log them because they just don't realize yet. I was one of those at first then I figured it out and have logged over 50 DNFs since. LOL

The other day I DNFd but didn't log it because I didn't have the cache description with me and it wasn't a serious search, more of a "Oh a cache is close by" LOL I went back the next day with the description and found it though. I did tell in the log about my first aborted attempt.
    I agree with you, Terry.

We often don't log a DNF if we've just looked casually, and didn't make an effort in finding a cache. We have enough caching experience to have experienced a lot of "unusual" hides (although your Right in Plain Sight hide was a first...) and are pretty sure we do a thorough search when we try.

So if we don't find a cache after a PROPER search we'll log the DNF to either reward the cache owner for the good hide, or let them know there may be a problem, whichever is applicable.