vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deleting found logs...

Default Note log is another option

Sometimes, when it's not a true DNF, I will log a note if nothing more for my own reference. Did this just yesterday as we were going to do a cache on the way through to Waterville. by the time we found a parking spot close enough, it was too late to walk that distance and we were still unsure it was the right starting point. So, I logged a note. If I want to remember when we were there, I have a record of it now, and the cache owner knows someone was at least considering the cache that day.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I agree with you, Terry.

We often don't log a DNF if we've just looked casually, and didn't make an effort in finding a cache. We have enough caching experience to have experienced a lot of "unusual" hides (although your Right in Plain Sight hide was a first...) and are pretty sure we do a thorough search when we try.

So if we don't find a cache after a PROPER search we'll log the DNF to either reward the cache owner for the good hide, or let them know there may be a problem, whichever is applicable.

I do the same thing with the same philosophy.

If it's not a really concerted effort to find the cache then I won't log the DNF. For example, a few months ago my wife and I were in Waterville and she was doing a job interview. While she was being interviewed I scooted down to Perkins Sanctuary to try to find that pesky cache which had eluded me a few weeks earlier. I was limited on time so after 15 minutes or so I headed back to wait for my wife. I didn't log a DNF for that one . . . but I did on the first search since I made a real, concerted effort to find it.

Like WhereRwe I log DNFs for three reasons. 1) Just in case there is a problem with the cache being MIA, 2) To show the cache hider that they had a very good hide if it's not missing (i.e. Old 470) and 3) A few times the cache hider has e-mailed me with another clue or simply has told me that I was in the right area or on the right track.

I also think Laughing Terry is correct. I suspect some new cachers don't realize they can (and probably should) mark down DNFs when they have them since I know it helps me know if a cache may be a bugger and require a little more searching than looking around for a pile of geo-sticks. I also suspect some folks don't put down a DNF because they don't want to look as though they're a miserable failure as a GCer . . . I obviously don't have that problem since I'm a miserable failure in many, many things.

Final thought on DNFs . . . one thing that doesn't help though is when someone logs a DNF and then others who find the cache afterwards refer back to the person with a DNF or talk about it being so easy that they couldn't believe the person couldn't find it (yeah, that would be me, just call me dummy and stick a dunce cap on me while you're at it ). This doesn't help since it only encourages others who also may have not found the cache to not record DNFs.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake

Final thought on DNFs . . . one thing that doesn't help though is when someone logs a DNF and then others who find the cache afterwards refer back to the person with a DNF or talk about it being so easy that they couldn't believe the person couldn't find it
    I agree with this, too.

Several times RULOST2? and I have logged DNF's, and then gone back to an easy find. DUH!

There is NO reason anyone logging a DNF should be denigrated. (Well, unless it's Brdad or LaughingTerry, who are known for placing diabolically tricky caches! LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Final thought on DNFs . . . one thing that doesn't help though is when someone logs a DNF and then others who find the cache afterwards refer back to the person with a DNF or talk about it being so easy that they couldn't believe the person couldn't find it (yeah, that would be me, just call me dummy and stick a dunce cap on me while you're at it ). This doesn't help since it only encourages others who also may have not found the cache to not record DNFs.
    I agree with this as well. There is no reason to do this. I'm sure sometimes it's done in fun, and a joking manner...but still. A cacher should feel free to tell us about their adventure, but they should leave other people's adventure out of it. It's not theirs to tell anyway. This happened very recently on one of my caches. Not only did the person put down a previous DNF cacher, they also proceeded to down the way that I hid it, saying something to the effect of, "I looked for it the way I would have done it." I'm sad to report that the DNF cacher hasn't been back.

Hindsight is 20/20....if they had already hidden one there, then I wouldn't have been able too!

I HAVE A GREAT IDEA!!! Since we had such a great outcome with the FTF-A-Thon... I'll organize a DNF-A-Thon!!!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I think I already won that one Hiram! LOL

I always log my DNF's - sometimes it is to help others see there is a challenge, sometimes to let the owner know there may be a problem, and sometimes to just tell the story. It's all in fun for me - finds and do not finds. I have been to some great places that I got to re-visit because I couldn't find it the first time. But then again, there is Old 470. That one just plain haunted me.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    I think I already won that one Hiram! LOL

I always log my DNF's - sometimes it is to help others see there is a challenge, sometimes to let the owner know there may be a problem, and sometimes to just tell the story. It's all in fun for me - finds and do not finds. I have been to some great places that I got to re-visit because I couldn't find it the first time. But then again, there is Old 470. That one just plain haunted me.
    I'm selling hints for benadicts landing for $10 each

Lightbulb Sale on hints!!

I'll let them go for only $5
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I'll let them go for only $5
    $4.50!!! Do I have any takers on $4.50!?!?!?!

If that hint gets down to a buck, I'll bid on it. I found 15 caches today and DNF'ed one...Benedict. I even met up with Hiram later and got a hint, went back and still DNF'ed.