vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caches along a Route

Default Caches along a Route

Just found this site made by a cacher called Clan Barron,( I think I have a sig item from him, a little sandal). Anyway it is for plotting caches along a route and he has used I-95 from Kittery to Houlton as his route in Maine.

All I did was scroll down to I-95 and then to Maine and copied the coordinates that were listed. Then went to GSAK and pasted the coordinates to the arc/poly filter and used 1 mile as my distance for my database of unfound Maine caches and came up with 35 caches within 1 mile of I-95 that I havent found. I thought it was pretty cool. You of course could use more than the 1 mile distance but that was just a test to see how it would work and it worked great.

So if any of you are interested to see how it works for you, this is the URL for his site:

http://home.comcast.net/~barron_geocachers/
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

We did this last summer when we went to Illinois, and I know Parmachenee has done it as well. Works great!

But it only works well for paperless cachers, who can load the same filtered GSAK file onto their PDA as well as their GPSr.

But remember, if you're going on a long trip, you're limited to 5 pocket queries per day, so you may have to spend a few days downloading waypoints along your route.

Thanks for bringing this up again, Haffy! Would be a good discussion topic for the next event.

It's a great feature! We have used it several times to find caches along a route while traveling. We used it when we were out in California last fall to find all the caches along our route from LAX up to Santa Barbara. Quick way to filter from a couple thousand caches to less than a hundred we were more likely to find.

How do you get/make one of these arc files anyway??

Hey Sue, here is a tutorial using Microsoft Streets & Trips and I would think it would work pretty much the same using any one of the other mapping programs.

http://www.craiggiven.com/gc_st2gpx_df.htm
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz
    How do you get/make one of these arc files anyway??
    What mapping software are you using?

The tutorial Haffy cited is good, but pretty involved. Let me explain in a few easy steps which will put the process in context, then you can go through the tutorial with a better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

1. Get your waypoints. Do pocket queries along the route you're taking using ZIP codes or known waypoints along the route. Load the waypoints into
    GSAK.

2. Determine your map route. Use your mapping software to select coordinates along the route and plug them into GSAK (arc/line option) as shown in the tutorial. (I use Delorme's Street Atlas)

3. Export the filtered waypoints to your map software/GPSr/PDA and you'll have a set of waypoints along the route.

I am using Mapsource Metroguide North America v4, Metroguide Canada v4, and Topo Canada v2.

Thanks for the help. I will try doing them tonight when I have more time. Will let you know how I do.

Sue

I like to do what I call "wander caching" where I pick a general area where I want go caching, I go to that area and put my coords into GSAK, then I go to the closest one, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache (are you actually reading all of this?) and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, well, you get the idea...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

...but what do you do after that???

Default Hey Andy

Don't encourge him.
    Happy Trails!