vb:literal>

Thread: RE: Schools

Default RE: Schools

I know that GC.com frowns on caches being placed too close to school buildings, but I have seen a number of caches placed near schools on walking trails, running trails, etc.

My question is to those folks who have placed them . . . or perhaps to any GCer who might just happen to be a SchoolBoard member ( ) . . . who do you check with to see if you could place a cache there -- Superintendent, Principal, Athletic Director, Buildings and Grounds Guru -- or did you assume that it was OK to place a cache without seeking individual approval since the area is publicly funded.

Second question . . . have there ever been problems with folks accessing these sites . . . especially when school is in session?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I do school caches on weekends when there aren't any kids around.

"No officer, the rope is in case I have to climb to a cache"

There are a couple caches not far from me (GCM7V7 and GCNQE1) that have been placed as part of Adult Education coursework in an Introduction to Geocaching class. In both cases specific instructions have been given for parking and the trail to take during school hours. Both caches have been placed with the permission of someone at the school and are located in such a way that there is no interference with normal school operations.

I remember reading in the gc.com forums about a bomb scare in Texas or Calif. because someone found an ammo box near a school and everyone panicked. So it seems to be a sensitive issue and should be addressed carefully.

Not that I've even placed ny first cache yet but by the sounds of what GC.com is no longer approving, those will just add to the list. I imaging most people use common sense and do them on weekends and after school hours. We have. I know our principal would never approve one even though the walking trail was made by students using a GPS and a grant.

Ya know, now that you mention that, it hasn't occured to me before. But the cache that I hid near the winslow schools has access from off school property, the trail is also used as an ATV trail. The cache is also a good distance away from anything. But it probably would be a good idea for me to look into a deeper approval, GPSFUN made no mention of that in his approval, and it is said in my cache description that it's on a school running trail.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I know that GC.com frowns on caches being placed too close to school buildings, but I have seen a number of caches placed near schools on walking trails, running trails, etc.

My question is to those folks who have placed them . . . or perhaps to any GCer who might just happen to be a SchoolBoard member ( ) . . . who do you check with to see if you could place a cache there -- Superintendent, Principal, Athletic Director, Buildings and Grounds Guru -- or did you assume that it was OK to place a cache without seeking individual approval since the area is publicly funded.

Second question . . . have there ever been problems with folks accessing these sites . . . especially when school is in session?

One of the Caches that i am working on placing is on school property and what I have done is go to the school and ask who to talk to, right now I am working with the grounds crew but then I also have not gotten anywhere as of yet so maybe i am rong on that one