vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from "DownEast"

Welcome to the forum RubiconJW.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconJW

Yes Hiram... I've hoisted a few "oilcans" but still a different reference..LOL
    ok, all the analogies are starting to get too me, all I'm finding is information about jeeps, beer, and ceasar!!!! and now oilcans!?!?!?!

soooooo ceasar crossed the rubicon in his jeep cuz he was too drunk from all the fosters he drank, and all he wanted to do was get an oil change but pompey took it the wrong way because he had a chain of jiffy lubes but ceasar went to midas instead?!?!?!!?!

jake you always seem to have infinite wisdom of things that don't make sense, what do you make of all this????
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    ok, all the analogies are starting to get too me, all I'm finding is information about jeeps, beer, and ceasar!!!! and now oilcans!?!?!?!

soooooo ceasar crossed the rubicon in his jeep cuz he was too drunk from all the fosters he drank, and all he wanted to do was get an oil change but pompey took it the wrong way because he had a chain of jiffy lubes but ceasar went to midas instead?!?!?!!?!

jake you always seem to have infinite wisdom of things that don't make sense, what do you make of all this????
    You're close to the truth Hiram, but the reference is in fact that Ceasar was inebriated from drinking too many Fosters and that led him to try to cross the river Rubicon while driving a Honda Rubicon ATV. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that this was a very dumb thing to do and so he ended up getting stuck. He then went back to his camp, drank some more Fosters and returned with his Jeep Rubicon which he used to pull out the ATV. Unfortunately, the Honda ATV was water-logged and he needed to do several oil changes to get the water out of the engine so he could continue on his way to Rome.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

. . . and now the rest of the story.

Colonel Benjamin Foster had enough. It was time to take a stand against British tyranny and he was the man to lead. The year was 1775. The place was Burnham Tavern in Machias. Foster was a natural leader, a man who knew he was the one to lead the local people to victory . . . and he had a plan. For some time Foster and others plotted against the British and thought long and hard on how they could aid the revolution taking place in the colonies.

Between Machias and Machiasport there is a small stream. Today it is known as Fosters Rubicon . . . but at the time it was most likely known by some other name (like King George's Small Stream, maybe.) It was there that Foster, the man born to be a leader in this revolution, challenged a band of men to follow him across the stream if they dared to take on the British and attempt to capture the British man-of-war ship the Margaretta.

Colonel Benjaim Foster made history that day because in fact this was the first naval battle of the American Revolutionary War . . . and it was a success. The men whipped into a patriotic fervor by Foster followed their leader across the stream, loaded into small boats and sloops and engaged the enemy. In the end they were victorious.

And now the real rest of the story . . . Foster, the natural leader, the true patriot, the man who inspired the men to take on the British that day . . . well, he never made it to the battle. You see, Foster may have been a great motivational speaker, but he was a lousy seaman (or maybe it was just plain bad luck.) I say this because the sloop commanded by Foster that day ran aground and Foster never got to see any action . . . the honor of capturing the Margaretta went to Jeremiah O'Brien.

And that, my dear Hiram, is the rest of the story.

..And to this day a stone & plaque are placed alongside the road marking this location and the starting point for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ecb8591-f036-48c1-8463-0f9da1ce9771
    A cool 3 stage multi around the town.

JW
    --... ...-- de N1MLF Echolink #21843

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconJW
    ..And to this day a stone & plaque are placed alongside the road marking this location and the starting point for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ecb8591-f036-48c1-8463-0f9da1ce9771
    A cool 3 stage multi around the town.

JW
    So do I get a FTF (First to Figure) Prize for solving the mystery of the Foster's Rubicon?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    . . . and now the rest of the story.

Colonel Benjamin Foster had enough. It was time to take a stand against British tyranny and he was the man to lead. The year was 1775. The place was Burnham Tavern in Machias. Foster was a natural leader, a man who knew he was the one to lead the local people to victory . . . and he had a plan. For some time Foster and others plotted against the British and thought long and hard on how they could aid the revolution taking place in the colonies.

Between Machias and Machiasport there is a small stream. Today it is known as Fosters Rubicon . . . but at the time it was most likely known by some other name (like King George's Small Stream, maybe.) It was there that Foster, the man born to be a leader in this revolution, challenged a band of men to follow him across the stream if they dared to take on the British and attempt to capture the British man-of-war ship the Margaretta.

Colonel Benjaim Foster made history that day because in fact this was the first naval battle of the American Revolutionary War . . . and it was a success. The men whipped into a patriotic fervor by Foster followed their leader across the stream, loaded into small boats and sloops and engaged the enemy. In the end they were victorious.

And now the real rest of the story . . . Foster, the natural leader, the true patriot, the man who inspired the men to take on the British that day . . . well, he never made it to the battle. You see, Foster may have been a great motivational speaker, but he was a lousy seaman (or maybe it was just plain bad luck.) I say this because the sloop commanded by Foster that day ran aground and Foster never got to see any action . . . the honor of capturing the Margaretta went to Jeremiah O'Brien.

And that, my dear Hiram, is the rest of the story.
    hahaha I knew you would have an answer, Ya know who comes to mind when you come up with those clever answers??? Wilson from the old t.v. show with Tim Allen "Home Improvement" haha I could see it now, peering over the fence... "Well Tim, Ceasar actually didn't cross the river with ATV..."

isn't there a cache called fosters solitude??? any relation?

Welcome aboard from one Rubicon to another!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepingirl2
    Welcome aboard from one Rubicon to another!
    (pssssss.... it's not the same thing... the rubicon they're talking about is a river of beer that ceasar made...)