vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs, Lyme Disease & Geocaching

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Most ticks that you will find on an animal are wood ticks and quite large. The deer tick is really small, about the size of a pin head.
    Well, Haffy - it would be a LARGE pinhead! LOL! Actually about the size of the "e" in Bushwacker Level IV, above..

Default Lyme Disease

I can speak from experience on this one as I found a tick on my arm last summer the size of a fleck of pepper. Under a magnifying glass it was an enlarged nymph tick. When sent to the State - they confirmed the tick had a 60% chance of carrying Lyme disease (the tests they have aren't very accurate- maybe due to the size of the insect they test). So I took a 2 week therapy of antibiotics (with very nasty digestive upset issues). My advice- use a repellant with DEET and lots of it, and use frontline faithfully on your animals.

frontline not K-9 advantix??

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb
    . . . My advice- use a repellant with DEET and lots of it, and use frontline faithfully on your animals.
    Anyone remember the Ol' Woodsmen fly dope? Man, that stuff was good for combatting bugs. I used it many a time during the black fly season while working my way through college as a greenskeeper at a golf course. The stuff smelled like it was a combination of kerosene, creosote, pine tar and moose urine . . . I was none too pleasant to be around humans, but the bugs hated the stuff. I can't find it anywhere now though.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Hi FFJ,

I agree Old Woodsman's was the best bug dope for years. LLBeans I think was one of the last places to carry it. I remember one time I had spent about a week roughing it up in the White Mountains prospecting for minerals and was on my way home. My clothes were saturated with the stuff and I stopped by to see my grandmother on the way. My grandmother said "My God you wouldn't have to worry about bugs or anything else coming near you with THAT stuff on", LLBean's said they stopped selling it because it supposedly contained and ingrediant listed as cancer causing. I still have a bottle with a little left in it. Looked more like tobbaco juice but you never will forget the smell. I know an old logger,in his 90's now and he still has a recipe for making up his version of the stuff and turpentine is one of the ingrediants along with camphor and several other things. I'll stick with the 100 percent deet for now though. Keep on cachin.

Cliff

Wondering if Old Woodsman's Fly Dope was still available, I found it at this site.

They also sell Butterfly Pee. Sheesh! How the heck do you get a butterfly to pee in the bottle???

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Wondering if Old Woodsman's Fly Dope was still available, I found it at this site.
    Thanks for the link Bruce . . . I may have to order some.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Olde Prospector
    Hi FFJ,

. . .. LLBean's said they stopped selling it because it supposedly contained and ingrediant listed as cancer causing . . .
    Doesn't everything we ingest, inject, absorb and inhale cause cancer these days . . . wait a few years though and supposed experts will find that the thing that is supposedly bad for you is now good for you and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Thanks for the link Bruce . . . I may have to order some.
    What are you gonna do with butterfly pee?

Hi WRW,

That's good news, I know a lot of people that always used the stuff but haven,t been able to find it anywhere lately. Guess I'll have to check it out and see if it's still the real deal and not a watered down or tamed version. I still have part of an old bottle left for comparison. Thanks for the info.

Cliff