vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival kit???

We don't carry a "survival kit", but one thing we've started carrying is a small flashlight (actually, one of those cheap LED booklights from WalMart).

We're never out after dark, but that small lite sure helps when you have to find something in a DARK location - such as a hole in a tree.

Default Lost???

Not that I would ever admit to having to spend the night in the woods, lost , off the trail, in the middle of a thunder and lightning storm, on the backside of rainbow lake, not me , north maine woods boy, but if I was, I'm glad I had.. I mean it would be good to have a flashlight, a couple of bic lighters, a large garbage bag to cut open and string up in the trees to get out of the rain, some snacks and a compass. A fire , even a tiny one can be very comforting on a wet night{so I'm told}. Even in warm weather hypothermia can be a danger if you are wet. Ruffles potato chips, and spring water make a delicious stew!! I didnt carry a first aid kit at that time and was fortunate not to injure myself, but I always carry one now in my fanny pack when hunting, a good Knife also. So here it is,, Fire, light, shelter, rope or parachute cord, compass, and snacks. Water also if you think you are going to be in an area where you cant find any. { I'd drink a mud puddle if I had to}, Keep your head, dont panic and always tell someone where you are going if possible. Like Dave1976, I personally carry the 357 mag. or for urban use, the KP345 .45 cal.{ CF Permit of course} I have been charged by a bull moose only once, and I mean charged!!! Not a good feeling, and if you have ever seen a grown man run through the woods and hide behind a big pine tree, you might start" packing " also. Those buggers get downright ornery in the fall, especially when you surprise them when they are getting ready to.. well , you Know!! The wardens told me it was a false charge, but I think they forgot to tell the moose that!! I guess there is absolutely no excuse to shoot one, even if he is stomping you into the ground. Anyway, be careful out there, pay attention to your surroundings and be prepared. Happy caching to everyone!!!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Gail
    Like Dave1976, I personally carry the 357 mag. or for urban use, the KP345 .45 cal.{ CF Permit of course} I have been charged by a bull moose only once, and I mean charged!!! Not a good feeling, and if you have ever seen a grown man run through the woods and hide behind a big pine tree, you might start" packing " also. Those buggers get downright ornery in the fall, especially when you surprise them when they are getting ready to.. well , you Know!! The wardens told me it was a false charge, but I think they forgot to tell the moose that!! I guess there is absolutely no excuse to shoot one, even if he is stomping you into the ground. Anyway, be careful out there, pay attention to your surroundings and be prepared. Happy caching to everyone!!!
    I had a similar run in up to upper ebbeemee one time and all I had was a glock 357 sig. The little woman tapped me on the shoulder ahd asked if that would help and I said maybe just scratch an itch for him. She told me once we got back to the truck and were safe that Monday I needed to remedy that and If we where gonna be trompin through the wood in search of the great outdoors that I had better have a caliber capible of resolving a potential situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Gail
    Not that I would ever admit to having to spend the night in the woods, lost , off the trail, in the middle of a thunder and lightning storm, on the backside of rainbow lake, not me , north maine woods boy, but if I was, I'm glad I had.. I mean it would be good to have a flashlight, a couple of bic lighters, a large garbage bag to cut open and string up in the trees to get out of the rain, some snacks and a compass. A fire , even a tiny one can be very comforting on a wet night{so I'm told}. Even in warm weather hypothermia can be a danger if you are wet. Ruffles potato chips, and spring water make a delicious stew!! I didnt carry a first aid kit at that time and was fortunate not to injure myself, but I always carry one now in my fanny pack when hunting, a good Knife also. So here it is,, Fire, light, shelter, rope or parachute cord, compass, and snacks. Water also if you think you are going to be in an area where you cant find any. { I'd drink a mud puddle if I had to}, Keep your head, dont panic and always tell someone where you are going if possible. Like Dave1976, I personally carry the 357 mag. or for urban use, the KP345 .45 cal.{ CF Permit of course} I have been charged by a bull moose only once, and I mean charged!!! Not a good feeling, and if you have ever seen a grown man run through the woods and hide behind a big pine tree, you might start" packing " also. Those buggers get downright ornery in the fall, especially when you surprise them when they are getting ready to.. well , you Know!! The wardens told me it was a false charge, but I think they forgot to tell the moose that!! I guess there is absolutely no excuse to shoot one, even if he is stomping you into the ground. Anyway, be careful out there, pay attention to your surroundings and be prepared. Happy caching to everyone!!!
    My sister who lives in Alaska has been charged by a moose before while snowshoeing . . . and she even had a grizzly stalking her . . . and yet she still doesn't carry anything while out hiking/skiing/etc. She also tells me that in Alaska it is far more common to hear of folks getting stomped to death by moose than it is to die from a bear attack.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    My sister who lives in Alaska has been charged by a moose before while snowshoeing . . . and she even had a grizzly stalking her . . . and yet she still doesn't carry anything while out hiking/skiing/etc. She also tells me that in Alaska it is far more common to hear of folks getting stomped to death by moose than it is to die from a bear attack.
    I've heard stories about people going on guided trips up in alaska and when they see a moose in the distance they pull over and stop the car and wait for the moose to go on it's way, because if ya drive by an angry moose they'll chase the car and proceed to stomp the daylights out of it. (personally i like the .357 too, a bit bulky but it feels good to carry, and ya know it'll just about stop anything)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I had a similar run in up to upper ebbeemee one time and all I had was a glock 357 sig. The little woman tapped me on the shoulder ahd asked if that would help and I said maybe just scratch an itch for him. She told me once we got back to the truck and were safe that Monday I needed to remedy that and If we where gonna be trompin through the wood in search of the great outdoors that I had better have a caliber capible of resolving a potential situation.
    haha, if ya aim right the .357 would stop just about anything...

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    haha, if ya aim right the .357 would stop just about anything...
    Yah 9 mm bullet and a 40 s&w case and all I can say is OMG

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Yah 9 mm bullet and a 40 s&w case and all I can say is OMG
    now you've got me all confused... was it a 9 or a .357??? or was it a glock 35 which was a .40cal???? i just can't make any sense of it mr. spock... http://www.glockworld.com

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    now you've got me all confused... was it a 9 or a .357??? or was it a glock 35 which was a .40cal???? i just can't make any sense of it mr. spock... http://www.glockworld.com
    Try to keep up

http://www.glock.com/_357.htm

d’76 Guest

This will explain it better
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG