vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival kit???

Default Survival kit???

Does anyone here carry any kind of survival kit as a regular item??
    Has anyone had a contingency that caused them to spend a night in the woods?
    I don't mean to be "alarmist" in this but feel it's worthy of consideration since sometimes bad things do happen to good people.
    A small survival kit could be a major asset.

comments??

..JW..

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconJW
    I don't mean to be "alarmist" in this but feel it's worthy of consideration since sometimes bad things do happen to good people.
    A small survival kit could be a major asset.

comments??

..JW..
    We have had this conversion several times before and Usually it is about the same,
    water
    small med kit
    matches
    compass
    map
    spear batteries
    and I know this one will get me in trouble but I carry a Glock for urban caches and a 44 for the back woods caches (CCWpermit of course)
    camera
    flash light
    snacks
    Every bodies idea about what they "need" for a night in the woods is different

My camel bak usually has everything that I need right in it all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconJW

..JW..
    Just a reminder, which may keep you from spending that night in the woods:

ALWAYS WAYPOINT THE CAR!!!

d’76 Guest

I forgot Fly dope and sunscreen

Another tip that hopefully get you help before spending the night in the woods:

**Tell someone where you are going and when to be expected home.

--P.S. Tell someone who cares......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    spear batteries
    and I know this one will get me in trouble but I carry a Glock for urban caches and a 44 for the back woods caches (CCWpermit of course)

If the 44 dont kill em, new batteries in the spear will?

I'm being honest here. I bring my mind . . . everything I need to spend a night or two in the woods is there and freely available (most of the time.)

When I cache (warmer weather typically) I don't really need a fire . . . and if I am in a situation where I need to get warm I'll just cut into a tauntaun with my light saber (OK, so I do bring a light saber with me for emergencies.)

A first aid kit sounds good, but most that I've seen are pretty limited and generally have lots and lots of band-aids. I figure if I have a true medical emergency while in the woods, a first aid kit probably won't have anything in it that I would truly need.

I have a great sense of direction in the woods . . . but even more importantly I have yet to do a cache where I'm not on or very close to a trail . . . with the one exception being the Etna Bog and even then you could navigate relatively easily.

I don't need a flashlight generally since I pretty much only do caches in the daylight since a) I'm not that die-hard of a geo-cacher (I usually plan to be back well before sunset), b) I'm scared of the dark without my Pooky (teddy bear) and c) if for some reason I got caught in the dark I would either hunker down or if there was enough starlight/moonlight proceed from there.

Camera? Nice to have, but a survival item?

Handguns? Well it's true you have to look out for the Bloods and Crips when you're doing those caches in downtown Bangor and let's not forget about the ravenous grizzlies, charging rhinos and man-eating lions in the wilds of Millinocket.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Handguns? Well it's true you have to look out for the Bloods and Crips when you're doing those caches in downtown Bangor and let's not forget about the ravenous grizzlies, charging rhinos and man-eating lions in the wilds of Millinocket.
    Finally someone that understands

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I have a great sense of direction in the woods . . . but even more importantly I have yet to do a cache where I'm not on or very close to a trail . . . with the one exception being the Etna Bog and even then you could navigate relatively easily.
    I've always had a great sense of direction as well, but I'll admit that the Etna Bog had us turned around! Luckily we had waypointed the car, and could see the "breadcrumbs" on the GPSr from our trek in, but I sure didn't believe that the car was in the direction the signs pointed to! LOL!

Well, I for one love to wander off and get lost, so I am usually over prepared. On a good cache trip into the woods you'll always see me with my rusak on the back, I carry....
    *first aid kid ( a well stocked one not a little sissy one because when I get hurt enough to need a first aid kit I usually need one that comes packed with a surgeon)
    *Spare flashlight (maglite, only the best... with an LED upgrade for extra battery life, I do a lot of night stuff)
    *Rope (everyone needs rope, ropes are cool, it just feels good to have a rope, it's a good pickup line too... hey baby, I've got a rope)
    *Backup GPS (Foretrex that clips to the front of my backpack)
    *Canteen and Cliffbars
    *Primary and secondary compass
    *Primary knife and secondary knife/utility tool
    *windproof lighter, waterproof matches (and usually a little starter log and camp candle)
    *Duct tape (makes good oversize bandages and can fix anything)
    *Reflective Emergency blanket
    *Trail marking ribbon

On a normal day my pack weighs over 10lbs, I'm usually the pack mule of the bunch and I get stuck carrying everyones water bottles and powerbars.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.