vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good palm for caching?

Default good palm for caching?

I'm looking to a palm for caching and was wondering what to buy. I know I want a palm and not a different brand. I'm looking at the Tungsten E2. What do you think? too much or too little?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Neoncouple
    I'm looking to a palm for caching and was wondering what to buy. I know I want a palm and not a different brand. I'm looking at the Tungsten E2. What do you think? too much or too little?
    I have the e2 and love it. It does everything that I want

I have the Zire 71,but you know what? If I had to do it all over again I would buy the cheapest one out there. I say that because it is just too expensive to bring it along caching and take a chance of dropping it and ruining it. I know because I speak from experience,I had it in my back pocket and fell on my butt and ruined the first one. I ended up buying another on Ebay for less that half of what I paid for the first one. You can get some really cheap ones on Ebay for less than 50 bux and will be plenty to hold cachemate and anything else you might have a use for it. Just my 2 cents.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

It all depends on what you want to do with your PDA. I have a Zire 72 and absolutely love it. I use it for more then when I go geocaching though. So what I have may be overkill for some people. I can put the Delorme Topo maps on mine and all the elevation grids and and minor roads, logging roads things of that type. Some people do not use that. I do.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I have the Zire 71,but you know what? If I had to do it all over again I would buy the cheapest one out there..
    I agree. I also have a Palm Zire 71, but almost ANY model Palm will work with Cachemate - which is what you want on your PDA. I have an old Palm VII (which I'm supposed to sell to Starz - by the way - I FOUND IT!!!), and I see that there is at least one on eBay with a starting bid of $7.99 and a "Buy it Now" price of $14.99.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I have an old Palm VII (which I'm supposed to sell to Starz - by the way - I FOUND IT!!!),
    I got tired of waiting and I bought a Palm Z22! I got it on Amazon for $90. It's small too, but I can't find a carrying case for it. I've had it caching with me only once so far, and it beats carrying around all the papers!!!

As many have heard me say (or whine!), I have an iPAQ PPC. I dare say, that I finally have it running smoothly for the list of caches and still have a bit to work on for the map aspect. It seems to be a bit slower than the Palm platform for this application. If I had to do it over, I would definitely get a Palm. Since I already had my iPAQ before caching entered my life, I have stuck with it.

Have fun!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I really only want it for caching. however I love gadgets and I would likely find other uses for it. Therefore I quess i want a good cheap one. whatever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz
    I got tired of waiting and I bought a Palm Z22! I got it on Amazon for $90. It's small too, but I can't find a carrying case for it. I've had it caching with me only once so far, and it beats carrying around all the papers!!!

Sheesh! What do you mean "can't find a carrying case"? Have you tried eBay?

LOL!

I would suggest getting a hard case though, don't think the leather case would do much in protecting against dropping it or falling on it.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.