vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GSAK help for newbies or you

Default GSAK question

When I import a PQ from GC.com, the maximum number of waypoints I can get is 500. If I want to make a database in GSAK for the entire state of Maine, I have to import several PQ's. When I try to load them into the database I have created in GSAK to house the Maine waypoints, it overwrites, rather than adding the newly imported waypoints to the existing list that is there. Any suggestions?

I am seriously thinking about upgrading my GPS and want to do the transfer of data to my GPS and my iPAQ with minimal steps. I am spending waaaaaaaay too much time these days on that aspect of caching. I'd rather be walking in the woods or scoping out caches on the beach!

I welcome any/all information you want to share about GSAK functions and abilities. I am also struggling with the whole Caches along a Route process as well and welcome guidance on that!

Thanks in advance for your help!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    When I import a PQ from GC.com, the maximum number of waypoints I can get is 500. If I want to make a database in GSAK for the entire state of Maine, I have to import several PQ's. When I try to load them into the database I have created in GSAK to house the Maine waypoints, it overwrites, rather than adding the newly imported waypoints to the existing list that is there. Any suggestions?

I am seriously thinking about upgrading my GPS and want to do the transfer of data to my GPS and my iPAQ with minimal steps. I am spending waaaaaaaay too much time these days on that aspect of caching. I'd rather be walking in the woods or scoping out caches on the beach!

I welcome any/all information you want to share about GSAK functions and abilities. I am also struggling with the whole Caches along a Route process as well and welcome guidance on that!

Thanks in advance for your help!
    When I load GPX files from the menu, it brings up an "options" page. Make sure the Advanced tab is clicked. In the middle of that page it ask about updating the existing database; "Database Update Options. There is an option that says "Add Only". Is this what your looking for?

Hope this helps.

Cache On!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    When I try to load them into the database I have created in GSAK to house the Maine waypoints, it overwrites, rather than adding the newly imported waypoints to the existing list that is there. Any suggestions?
    Saw Trezur's response, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to overwrite existing waypoints in GSAK. What you're gettting is updated information - which is good. Right?

I'm not sure what you mean Beachy. I keep a database of all my unfound Maine caches. In my instance it takes me 2 PQ's to get all my unfound Maine caches. Then when I download to Cachemate I just go to the unfound Maine cache database and get I think it is for me now 700 and some odd caches,all with descriptions and the like. My Vista holds 1000 waypoints so I just usually export from GSAK into Mapsource and then from there I transfer all the waypoints to the Vista from Mapsource. It only takes about 5 minutes max to do all of this minus the time it takes to update my PQ's which I usually do everytime I go out caching and that only takes about 5 minutes as well. Hope that helps yah sweetie.......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

As far as caches along a route,I havent used that function yet . I did notice that there are a lot more people adding their routes to the database so keep looking back to there to see if any route has been added that you would use. Or better yet ask someone who is familiar in making routes to add one that you would like to use. I'm sure it can't be too hard. I use mapsource and if you want ,give me a route and I'll try and come up with something that you would want to use. It's fun playing around with it anyway and I might learn something about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    When I load GPX files from the menu, it brings up an "options" page. Make sure the Advanced tab is clicked. In the middle of that page it ask about updating the existing database; "Database Update Options. There is an option that says "Add Only". Is this what your looking for?

Hope this helps.

Cache On!!!!
    Perfect!! That is exactly what I wanted! Thanks a million.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Saw Trezur's response, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to overwrite existing waypoints in GSAK. What you're gettting is updated information - which is good. Right?
    You're right - I do want to overwrite data when I bring in updated PQ's, but since I can't include all the waypoints that I want in one PQ, I have to run 2. The info that Steve gave me will let me to house it in one database rather than 2, which will make it easier for export.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    I'm not sure what you mean Beachy. I keep a database of all my unfound Maine caches. In my instance it takes me 2 PQ's to get all my unfound Maine caches. Then when I download to Cachemate I just go to the unfound Maine cache database and get I think it is for me now 700 and some odd caches,all with descriptions and the like. My Vista holds 1000 waypoints so I just usually export from GSAK into Mapsource and then from there I transfer all the waypoints to the Vista from Mapsource. It only takes about 5 minutes max to do all of this minus the time it takes to update my PQ's which I usually do everytime I go out caching and that only takes about 5 minutes as well. Hope that helps yah sweetie.......
    What paramteters to you use to get all in 2 PQ's? Do you use 2 different zip codes? If so, which do you use? If not, what works for you?

How did you make it possible to do that? There must be an update that I didn't do - I still only have 500.

Do you use install mapsource on your GPS or do you use what it came with?

Is there an advantage for doing it this way? I transfer waypoinnts directly to my GPS from GSAK. I export info to microsoft streets and trips from GSAK as well. I'm still having trouble with the mapping software on my iPAQ, but I use MS S&T to look at what is available when I am planning my time.

You betcha!! Thanks a million!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    As far as caches along a route,I havent used that function yet . I did notice that there are a lot more people adding their routes to the database so keep looking back to there to see if any route has been added that you would use. Or better yet ask someone who is familiar in making routes to add one that you would like to use. I'm sure it can't be too hard. I use mapsource and if you want ,give me a route and I'll try and come up with something that you would want to use. It's fun playing around with it anyway and I might learn something about it as well.
    Anyone out there creating a route? If so, any tips you can offer will be much appreciated! I have looked at the ones that are already established, but nothing has matched my need so far.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

What route are you looking for?