vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GSAK help for newbies or you

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls
    I thought I only needed a GPS and coordinates. Hey, there's lots to learn and events to learn them at!
    We're talking about the GSAK cache management software, which alows us to export sets of waypoints to our GPSr, a PDA (if you're a "paperless" cacher) where most of us use Cachemate instead of paper, or to your laptop computers.

Then there are the mapping programs - Delorme's Street Atlas and Topo USA are popular, but Hiram is using Microsoft's Streets & Trips and National Geographic's Topo mapping software.

I use Garmin's City Select mapping software on my GPSr - great for routing you right to a cache!

Now are you THOROUGHLY overwhelmed? LOL!

I thought I only needed a GPS and coordinates. Hey, there's lots to learn and events to learn them at!
    You should also go to the event being held at the end of the month and get some of the experienced cachers to demonstrate their different systems for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Well, sheesh! Get rid of them and get Garmin or Delorme! LOL!
    but i like both of the programs I've never gotten lost with MS S&T (it's even succesfully navigated me around Boston many times!!!!) and I love NG TOPO! I have the 3D mapping upgrades, and the New England States upgrades, that's proven itself to be a useful tool many times, especially with the 3D images(thats just downright cool)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    but i like both of the programs I've never gotten lost with MS S&T (it's even succesfully navigated me around Boston many times!!!!) and I love NG TOPO! I have the 3D mapping upgrades, and the New England States upgrades, that's proven itself to be a useful tool many times, especially with the 3D images(thats just downright cool)
    But does it show you where the nearest tavern is? Garmin's City Select does!

But does it show you where the nearest tavern is? Garmin's City Select does!
    Yes actually it does... (but that usually isn't needed, I just follow my nose, I can smell a beer from a mile away)

You should also go to the event being held at the end of the month and get some of the experienced cachers to demonstrate their different systems for you.

I am planning on attending the Mt Ag event and the Pig Roast event. A friend of mine already talked me into that. I use Mapsourse TOPO and have been reading different threads on different options to confuse me. Someone should point people this way before we buy so we know our options from cachers and not people trying to just sell anything.

I am planning on attending the Mt Ag event and the Pig Roast event. A friend of mine already talked me into that. I use Mapsourse TOPO and have been reading different threads on different options to confuse me. Someone should point people this way before we buy so we know our options from cachers and not people trying to just sell anything.
    Actually, the only things you need to go geocaching are a GPSr and a computer. Anything else is just add-on/upgrading. Most people hear about geocaching, buy a GPSr, and THEN find this site and realize there's a lot of knowledge and assistance available - and we're not trying to sell anything! LOL!

Has anybody upgraded their GSAK and figured out the best way to deal with the additional "children" waypoints? It looks like there are several way to name the waypoints for the export to your GPS. I guess I will just have to try a couple of exports and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    that's a really good quick start... but I'm still having trouble exporting files to MS Streets & Trips and to Nat. Geo. TOPO!.... GSAK won't create a file that is recognized by those programs, it comes close, but the extensions are like a letter off *.TRP or somethin goofy like that when it needs be somethin like *.TOP
    I must be using an older version of NG Topo, because I have never had any problems exporting from GSAK. I use it all the time to see where caches are located. My version of Topo uses .tpo to save tracks and .tpg to save waypoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I must be using an older version of NG Topo, because I have never had any problems exporting from GSAK. I use it all the time to see where caches are located. My version of Topo uses .tpo to save tracks and .tpg to save waypoints.
    Tat helped me out, I was trying to open the file instead of importing it....