vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS Suggestions?

When I got into geocaching this year, I researched the hell out of GPSrs. I weighed the pros and cons of each, price was a major factor as well but after what I read about the Garmin 60CSx I decided that was the one I wanted. I read the forums on Geocaching.com and checked every website that would carry GPSrs everyday, I ended up getting a smokin' deal on my 60CSx on EBay, so much so I thought I might be getting ripped off!! I have yet to lose a sattelite lock in my house, in ANY cover, or in the car. It is an awesome unit and I would reccomend it to anyone.

I would recommend the Etrex Legend, which is what I have, though I'd love to upgrade to have color, tracback, and better reception. I would also echo the comment about great deals on eBay....it's where I got mine, super-cheap and barely used!
    To Cache or NOT to cache.....IS there a question?

Thanks for all the input, I will pass it along to them. Good to see so much positive feedback on the etrex series, I was reluctant to recommend it because I have never used one. I think they are looking for a basic inexpensive GPS for now, but I am defiantly going to let them know about he benefits of a more expensive mapping unit. I never thought that I needed a GPS with all those fancy features, but once I upgraded from my old Garmin 12 to a 60c I wondered how I ever got along with out it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    We liked our eTrex, but wanted more and upgraded to the GPSMap 60c.

I think it would be best if they went for the 60C. Yeah - it's a lot more expensive - but offers so much more than the eTrex.
    How is reception under tree cover with the etrex vs to 60c?

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    How is reception under tree cover with the etrex vs to 60c?
    Well, the GPSMap 60c is better because it has the quad-helix antenna. But if you're thinking of the 60c, I'd go for broke and get either the 60cx/csx. Reception will be a LOT better than either of the others.

The only reason to get the eTrex is lower cost. The "x" series is state-of-the-art. RULOST2? will be surprised when she gets one for her birthday! (LOL! Almost like buying her a new set of socket wrenches!)

In case anyone wants the trivia, the "x" designation in the Garmin models indicates that model comes with the new MicroSD slot.

Quote Originally Posted by tflight
    In case anyone wants the trivia, the "x" designation in the Garmin models indicates that model comes with the new MicroSD slot.
    And - even better - an advanced SiRFstar III GPS receiver. Supposed to be a lot more accurate than the prior chips.

Yes, it does come with the SiRF Star III chipset.... which is absolutely fantastic! However I've been told not to expect all "x" model receivers to come with the SiRF Star III. For example I have been told by Garmin that the new eTrex Venture Cx does not have a SiRF Star III.... even though the Amazon site says it does. They have told me the Amazon site is incorrect and that the "x" designation only means Micro SD.

This is true,only the 60 and 76 series of the "X" models have the new sirf chip. This is from the Garmin site:

The eTrex Legend® Cx, eTrex Vista® Cx, GPSMAP® 60Cx, GPSMAP 60CSx, GPSMAP 76Cx, and GPSMAP 76CSx will all feature the new card slot. In addition, the new 60x-series and 76x-series units will feature a new and highly sensitive GPS receiver that obtains faster acquisition times and lets users determine and track their location in challenging conditions such as heavy foliage or deep canyons.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by tflight
    Yes, it does come with the SiRF Star III chipset.... which is absolutely fantastic! However I've been told not to expect all "x" model receivers to come with the SiRF Star III. For example I have been told by Garmin that the new eTrex Venture Cx does not have a SiRF Star III.... even though the Amazon site says it does. They have told me the Amazon site is incorrect and that the "x" designation only means Micro SD.
    Sheesh! You're right! We had a thread about this some time ago, and the main excitement was the SiRF chip. I don't think anyone realized that the "x" designation only applied to the SD card and not the chip!

Thanks for pointing this out - I think it would be a major factor when someone is considering a new GPSr.