vb:literal>

Thread: top notch campground

Default top notch campground

My reservation at Orr's Island Campground was cancelled because the USPS didn't get them my check in time so I'm looking for some recommendations for another.

Something within, say 90 mins of Portland, and ideally on/near the beach would be awesome.

Suggestions?

I havent been there for many years but one place that comes to mind where we used to camp out right on the ocean(well not really ON the ocean) was a place called Hermits island just south of Popham. Maybe you could call for reservations. And maybe YOP or Beachcomber have some suggestions. Since they live close to the sea.

Hermit Island. That was the same place I was going to recommend. I have never camped there. But I know a guy that works with me that goes camping there with his family every year for a week.
    Blazing Troll

Default Campgrounds

In Bath area there is Hermit Island and Meadow Brook Campground located on Meadow Brook Road south of Bath. It is a bit further from the beaches but more likely to have spaces available. Worth checking out. No guarantees.

stayed at Meadowbrook a couple weeks ago. Nice enough, but we want something ON the water... Hermit island was full.

Got a spot at Recompence Shore Campgrounds, just outside of Freeport.

http://www.freeportcamping.com

Looks promising. Thanks all.

If you are ON the water, how do you keep your tent dry? Sorry couldn't resist! We came across another nice park/campground in Freeport while doing the Winslow Waters cache. It's the Winslow Memorial Park & Campground and it has a day use fee of $1.50 per person, and campsites look to be around $20 per night. The picnic area has small grills by the picnic tables and a playground for the kids. We were quite impressed, and plan to camp there soon!