vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hitchhikers & virtuals

Default hitchhikers & virtuals

I think I mentioned this in another thread. I'm going to Minnesota in a couple of weeks and I can take travel bugs if anyone wants to hand one off. I did get one from Lisbon today that wants to go to other continents. Drofrockology will be in Minnesota at the same time so he can snag some and take them back to Nevada with him. I live in Auburn. If everyone's not askeert of me now!

On the subject of virtuals, I had my son home with me this past weekend. I signed him up as terribleToo. He lives in Gardiner in a group home/workshop with a housedad and 4 other men who have autism. They build birdhouses for a living. I took him to a traditional cache and he hated it, but couldn't get enough virtuals! He loves to ride anyway, and jumping out to run up to a landmark and point out the answers, then coming home to email the people, was right up his alley. He doesn't speak, but he likes to type. He blew through 5 grandfathered ones over the weekend and even walked with me to a cemetery near our house to gather information for a future one that we can post. For a change he forgot to act like I was taking him on a forced march or trying to creep him out with grave markers. So I signed us up on Waymarking.com and I told his housedad about this fantastic new obsession, so the other guys can do it too. They are planning a 6-week motorhome trip and this will be a good way to get lots of stops in.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Are you going to be at the Mt. Agawhatchamacallit event? That would be a good chance to pick up some TB's. I have a TB that wants to go to Arizona.
    I was going to drop in in Canada tomorrow ( ) but if I can help it along...

I'm scheduled for the MPBN TV auction on the 29th. Maybe someone coming back through Lewiston that night could drop it off at the studio?

Quote Originally Posted by enfanTerrible
    I'm scheduled for the MPBN TV auction on the 29th. Maybe someone coming back through Lewiston that night could drop it off at the studio?
    Do the exchange on the air... free geo-publicity.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I'm representing Eastern Star the 29th but there's always this Saturday the 22nd... or one of you guys could volunteer your pretty face!

On the subject of virtuals, I had my son home with me this past weekend. I signed him up as terribleToo. He lives in Gardiner in a group home/workshop with a housedad and 4 other men who have autism. They build birdhouses for a living. I took him to a traditional cache and he hated it, but couldn't get enough virtuals! He loves to ride anyway, and jumping out to run up to a landmark and point out the answers, then coming home to email the people, was right up his alley. He doesn't speak, but he likes to type. He blew through 5 grandfathered ones over the weekend and even walked with me to a cemetery near our house to gather information for a future one that we can post. For a change he forgot to act like I was taking him on a forced march or trying to creep him out with grave markers. So I signed us up on Waymarking.com and I told his housedad about this fantastic new obsession, so the other guys can do it too. They are planning a 6-week motorhome trip and this will be a good way to get lots of stops in.
    This is awesome!! I am so glad to hear that there is such enjoyment from them.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I have a secret confession . . . I like virtuals. I know, I know . . . some folks think they are too easy or aren't that great since there is no log or actual cache container, but I have to tell you that I've been to some truly great places where it really wouldn't have been possible to have traditional caches.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I think I mentioned this in another thread. I'm going to Minnesota in a couple of weeks and I can take travel bugs if anyone wants to hand one off. I did get one from Lisbon today that wants to go to other continents. Drofrockology will be in Minnesota at the same time so he can snag some and take them back to Nevada with him. I live in Auburn. If everyone's not askeert of me now!

I know it's a bit out of the way, but you and your son might like to check my Out of the Ashes cache sometime . . . it uses the idea of a virtual cache as you need to get info from one place to figure the coords for the physical cache located at another place. I thought of this cache in particular because the three children that lost their lives to this fire also happened to be autistic.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Glad to hear someone else is having fun with virtuals! I can see why they got their own site though.

The triplets' Uncle Jim in Minot is a good friend of mine so John knows about the little boys. We'll have a good talk before we go, because he's very affected by sad things. Not being able to speak makes it very hard to deal with feelings, especially if it hits when he's at work with someone who can't facilitate his typing.

We recently met a mother and son who were displaced by Hurricane Katrina. The son, Bill, is verbal - not autistic but has some developmental issues - and Bill lost 2 good friends, autistic brothers who drowned at home with their parents. John had a good cry with Bill and then painted some slates to auction on eBay, and gave the money to a Louisiana charity that was helping autistic people recover from the storms. He understands that this is a condition that can sometimes make it hard for you to react safely in a bad situation. (Though the drowning was the result of a fateful decision on the parents' part, and they lost their lives as well)

Glad to hear someone else is having fun with virtuals! I can see why they got their own site though.

The triplets' Uncle Jim in Minot is a good friend of mine so John knows about the little boys. We'll have a good talk before we go, because he's very affected by sad things. Not being able to speak makes it very hard to deal with feelings, especially if it hits when he's at work with someone who can't facilitate his typing.

We recently met a mother and son who were displaced by Hurricane Katrina. The son, Bill, is verbal - not autistic but has some developmental issues - and Bill lost 2 good friends, autistic brothers who drowned at home with their parents. John had a good cry with Bill and then painted some slates to auction on eBay, and gave the money to a Louisiana charity that was helping autistic people recover from the storms. He understands that this is a condition that can sometimes make it hard for you to react safely in a bad situation. (Though the drowning was the result of a fateful decision on the parents' part, and they lost their lives as well)

Thanks for sharing . . . it's posts like this that remind me why I enjoy coming here and checking out things and "talking" to other geocachers so much.

And for what it's worth . . . I still tear up some when I think of that January night.