vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hitchhikers & virtuals

So do I, when I think of those 3 babies hiding.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

our outreach worker at special children's friends did a presentation to the gouldsboro fire dept (along with other town first responders) about how to deal with special needs kids (especially autistic) in an emergency. the presentation was so successful that she and her "team" was invited to the hancock county firemen's annual meeting. it was standing room only when they did their presentation. autistic kids will run, hide and not respond to their names. many of these first responders did not know this fact. i think it was an eye opener for them.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

I also recently learned that folks with autism and alzheimers don't emit the scent other folks do when they are afraid. So search and rescue dogs don't have anything to track because they are usually trained to trace the scent of fear. I guess there is special training that can be done, but becasue of budget and time issues it isn't done in lots of parts of the state.

Wow, that's one I hadn't heard. Kind of interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans
    I also recently learned that folks with autism and alzheimers don't emit the scent other folks do when they are afraid. So search and rescue dogs don't have anything to track because they are usually trained to trace the scent of fear. I guess there is special training that can be done, but becasue of budget and time issues it isn't done in lots of parts of the state.
    I kind of question this at a first read, but admittedly my knowledge of S & R dogs is limited.

I would question this since I wonder if "fear" truly has a unique smell . . . I mean I suppose people who are fearful are releasing more hormones and endorphins such as adrenaline which may accentuate their unique smell, but I'm guessing that most people who get lost don't start out fearful (i.e. the curious kid who wanders into the woods, the boy scout who wanders off trail, the senior with dementia that wanders into the woods near his home, etc.)

If I had to hazard a guess I would think that the dogs are trained to track a person's particular scent (often from a recently worn item of clothing) and that the dogs would be able to narrow down their search in an ideal situation when those bodily smells are accentuated by the hormones (both the "good" (think when you are wicked happy and having a great time) and the "bad" (think fear, hatred, anger, etc.) hormones that would be produced in any emotional event.) If this were the case I would also suppose that someone who did not exhibit a high level of these hormones (such as fear due to someone who has autism or Alzheimers or some other type of mental impairment . . . or even someone who simply is not showing high levels of fear, enjoyment, etc.) would be harder to track.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

it was my understanding that it was the loose flesh that the dogs smell, your body is loosing skin cells 24/7 (with you smell attatched) (ever look at the air filters in the cieling of store or resturaunt... and they're filthy... over 45% human skin...) and it is the trail of scent (left by your skin) that they follow. I know my skin information is accurate, but I too am not very knowledgeable of S&R dogs.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

`course, there's no mental impairment with autism - very smart person but can't act on it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by enfanTerrible
    `course, there's no mental impairment with autism - very smart person but can't act on it sometimes.
    the kids in our program (ages 2 to 5) are really smart. they are really funny, too. none of them lack a sense of humor. they are most lacking in the socialization and communication aspects.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"