Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: List you hotspots here

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    124

    Default List your hotspots here

    super shoe in skowhegan
    the high school in skowhegan
    the town office in norridgewock

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    I'm going to try and get the WiFi listing project going again. BRDAD and ATTROLL developed a data base that could be loaded (I believe) into GSAK showing WiFi hotspots as waypoints.

    The list would show town, site name, physical location and coordinates.

    More news to come...


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    We had started a database of libraries here in the state that had connections so we have that database to work on. I Googled Maine Wi-Fi hotspots in Maine and there are a few directories listed. Here are 3 of them:


    http://www.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot...aine-me-22.htm

    http://www.wi-fihotspotsdirectory.co...Maine-286.html

    http://www.maine.gov/msl/infotech/wi...eless_libs.htm
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    We had started a database of libraries here in the state that had connections so we have that database to work on. I Googled Maine Wi-Fi hotspots in Maine and there are a few directories listed. Here are 3 of them:


    http://www.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot...aine-me-22.htm

    http://www.wi-fihotspotsdirectory.co...Maine-286.html

    http://www.maine.gov/msl/infotech/wi...eless_libs.htm
    Yeah - I'm familiar with those. But they don't give coordinates, so we can't put them into GSak or on our GPSr's.

    (I'm sending you some info via email)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Yeah,I don't use a laptop so I was just trying to help out with some of the info that's all. One of these days though I might. If you have any map software I am sure you could input the address of any of these spots and get an approximate coordinate to use. Just a thought anyway.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    124

    Default list

    would like to make a list of working hot spots that people have used and works thought it would be helpful

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maine
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Let me know if i can help, Also if you have that list please email it to me or we need a place to put it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    124

    Default list

    when ever some gets a good spot they can just add it to this post and ill get a list going of the places that work

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDave1998
    when ever some gets a good spot they can just add it to this post and ill get a list going of the places that work
    As I said previously, we ALREADY have a project started to produce a WiFi hotspot list. What we have so far is shown here:

    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/wifi/geo-wifi.gpx

    This link brings up the text file. To use it, save it to your desktop as geo-wifi.gpx (text file) and you can import it into GSAK like any .gpx (pocket query) file.

    I previously agreed to maintain it, but we need additional input.

    We ask you to submit new WiFi hotspots with the following information (you can send it to me in a PM):

    1. Town hotspot is located in
    2. What it is. (i.e., public library, McDonalds hotspot, town office, etc)
    3. Physical location (124 Smart Street, for example)
    4. Cordinates

    Once I receive the data, I'll update the file and it will be available to anyone who wants it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,575

    Talking I found a Boo Boo

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    As I said previously, we ALREADY have a project started to produce a WiFi hotspot list. What we have so far is shown here:

    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/wifi/geo-wifi.gpx

    This link brings up the text file. To use it, save it to your desktop as geo-wifi.gpx (text file) and you can import it into GSAK like any .gpx (pocket query) file.

    I previously agreed to maintain it, but we need additional input.

    We ask you to submit new WiFi hotspots with the following information (you can send it to me in a PM):

    1. Town hotspot is located in
    2. What it is. (i.e., public library, McDonalds hotspot, town office, etc)
    3. Physical location (124 Smart Street, for example)
    4. Cordinates

    Once I receive the data, I'll update the file and it will be available to anyone who wants it.
    The coords for the Bangor Library were a digit off

    The correct ones are N44 48.261 W68 46.317 The posted ones had the West at 069 instead of 068. Only about 48 miles off. I loaded this list into GSAK and will use it I'm sure. I plan on posting VIP and any other good sites and their coords as I find them.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •