vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power inverter

Default power inverter

anyone use a power inverter to run their laptop in their car
    i bought a 400 watt one and was told no to use it
    it would fry my pc
    any ideas

I don't but would suggest that maybe the manufactuer of your laptop could steer you in the right direction. Justa thought.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

hmm, not sure on that one, I use my inverter all the time, I am not sure about the watage though.

Hi Diver Dave,

I have an HP Pavilion that I bought for use in my Big Rig when I was driving all over the country. I ran it off a 300W inverter all the time, I was on the road for a month or more at a time consistantly and never had any problems. Of course I bought every warrantee and service plan I could get for it because anything can happen on the road. I'm sure it was exposed to more more bouncing around than most laptops would normally get in years, but it is still working fine. I have had it for more than 5 years. I let my daughter use it last Summer to use with for her LPN courses as it was just sitting around here. Not sure on newer laptops but it would probably be wise to check with the manufacturer.

Cliff

I don't know why it wouldn't be OK--a laptop AC supply is generally 40-75 watts or so. I would make it a point to plug in the laptop after the car is running to make sure it doesn't get a surge when the starter/alternator fires up (same advice stands if you have the actual DC adapter plugged into a cigarette lighter port).

I'm no genius or anything, but the wattage of the power converter is the amount of wattage the inverter can handle. generally the average loptop will draw probably less than an amp wich is less than 400w. The converter does not generate wattage, it inverts voltages. It changes 12v DC to 120v AC so that you can run your average laptop, radio, whatever, just dont try to run a vaccum or drill (anything more than 2 amps) cuz youll fry your converter, but none the less when you plug your 120v cord into your converter, your cord probably has a little square box on it somehwere (that's just a transformer that will just turn that 120v back into 12v!!) I have a 300w inverter for my laptop and that does the trick just fine ( i did try to run a small shop vac off of it once... all it does is suck the power faster than it can convert it)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I've gone thousands of miles with my laptop plugged into a 300W converter... and that was a laptop with the GPS attached

Nothing was fried.

the wattage isnt the voltage it puts out, its the amount, its gunna put out 120v no matter what, think of it like water hoses, if you have a 300w converter you've got a garden hose, that can handle small amounts of water(radio, tv, laptop), if you have a 3000w (for heavy duty uses) youve got a fire hose (power drill, sawzall, vaccum)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by DiverDave1998
    anyone use a power inverter to run their laptop in their car
    i bought a 400 watt one and was told no to use it
    it would fry my pc
    any ideas
    I bought a two pack of inverters from Sams Club. They are small and plug right into the lighter. I'm not sure of the wattage but it can't be too much because of the small size. I have used them in my car and truck for my laptop well over a year now with no trouble at all.

I don't see how it can harm your laptop, your charger for it maybe but not the laptop.

Default power

I got brave pluged her in and it worked great