vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiram's GSAK headache of the week! (uhh day)

I use Delorme XMap 4.5 with several datasets and I absolutely love it. I sync it with my iPAQ hx4700 PocketPC with Delorme Street Atlas 2006 Handheld on it. I'm going to start using a Garmin 60CSx soon though instead of the crappy Delorme Bluelogger GPS (it just doesn't have good reception in the woods). But I really do like the detailed topo and satellite maps with Delorme over Garmin's.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpriest
    I use Delorme XMap 4.5 with several datasets and I absolutely love it. I sync it with my iPAQ hx4700 PocketPC with Delorme Street Atlas 2006 Handheld on it. I'm going to start using a Garmin 60CSx soon though instead of the crappy Delorme Bluelogger GPS (it just doesn't have good reception in the woods). But I really do like the detailed topo and satellite maps with Delorme over Garmin's.
    yeah, i love garmin gpsr's, i've used a few different brands through time, and i'm sticking with garmin (unless i can ever afford a trimble) but i too have never been impressed with garmins maps. Delorme by far has the best detailed maps i've seen.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I didn't like Delorme's SAHH at all. It was VERY slow (although I think my setup had something to do with this), and it wasn't much good if your PDA wasn't connected to the GPSr.

If you're gonna spend the money for the Garmin 60csx, you really should consider Garmin's City Select. It's a great mapping program and you don't need the maps on the PDA.

Be at the event this weekend and you'll be able to see it in action.

I won't be able to make it to the event, got other commitments in Bangor. Delorme's SAHH 2004 and 2005 ran pretty slow on my old iPAQ 3850. SAHH 2006 runs incredibly well on my new iPAQ hx4700. I have noticed it runs better if you create more smaller maps vs. one large map. It only loads into memory the file it needs at any given time. I can get away with maps up to 30MB on my 1GB CF card with no performance loss since I've installed most programs to the 128MB iPAQ file store and left as much ROM free as possible for running programs. I usually have around 50MB free and that leaves enough room for SAHH 2006, Bluetooth drivers, and a good sized map. It's not slow at all, even zooming in and out and panning with the map. I use topo maps on it, and I gave up on satellite imagery (size gets way too big and generally isn't worth the performance hit for me). It has a 4" LCD and I use it in full VGA mode (640x480), so I get some very detailed maps with great screen real estate, far better than any GPS I've ever seen. Autorouting has gotten incredibly fast for me using it in this manner on the hx4700 compared to my older 3850 (5-15 seconds vs over 45 minutes--yeah, you read that right!!!).

I use maps on it quite frequently without the GPS just to look up something, and leave the atlas in the vehicle. I am a bit dissappointed with the Delorme Bluelogger for doing anything but driving down the road. It is not an off-road, through-the-woods type of GPS (bad antenna, no electronic compass, no directional heading unless you are moving at least 5mph, etc.). I plan on getting a Garmin 60CSx for that, and continue using my Delorme maps on the iPAQ with the Garmin as the GPS instead of the Bluelogger. I will definitely get Garmin's Topo software, and maybe City Select (or Navigator, what's the difference anyway?), but it bugs me that they both have roads and trails the other does not. You have to load them both onto the Garmin and choose between them with layers to see things the other does not. When is Garmin going to get better maps?!

To be honest, a bigger reason I'm getting a Garmin is that I need to upgrade my hx4700 to Windows Mobile 5.0 for some customer's software, and XMap 4.5 will not sync routes or waypoints to SAHH with anything newer than ActiveSync 3.8. Windows Mobile 5.0 requires ActiveSync 4.0 or higher. Confused yet?! It's stupid... I can still send maps over to the handheld manually, and I can still use a GPS with the maps to get more details than the Garmin GPS has, but I can't send my routes or waypoints after the upgrade (unless I create them on the SAHH of course). I'll have to send the waypoints and trails to the Garmin instead and just use the handheld for the more detailed maps when I need them. Another problem I'll have is that XMap 4.5 won't get a live GPS signal from the Garmin via USB, only serial. You can send/receive data to/from it (routes, waypoints, etc.) via USB, but you can't get GPS signal from it unless you do serial. This will only be an issue with my laptop however, and will require another cable in my bag.

Some days I wish Delorme would step up to the plate a bit. Both the Garmin USB and ActiveSync 4.0 issues should have been fixed over a year ago with patches, and all they say is wait and purchase the next XMap (5.0?) due out later this year... ARGH! Their tech support is pathetic and completely useless. Their forums are full of quite knowledgeable and helpful users however.

By the way, GSAK rocks! I export areas of geocaches into XMap as draw layers that I can enable and disable (Bangor, Millinockett, etc.). I get pocket queries emailed to me, import the GPX files into GSAK, turn around and export them to XMap, and transfer them to the handheld (the GPX files automatically get synced using ActiveSync when I save the email attachments). I use GPX Sonar on the handheld to read the GPX files and type my field notes, which can be imported back into GSAK and posted to geocaching.com very easily. It's quite a speedy system once you've done it a few times. It's really fun to get out of work, have a couple hours of daylight left, and already have all the latest caches and logs on your handheld.

I will definitely get Garmin's Topo software, and maybe City Select (or Navigator, what's the difference anyway?), but it bugs me that they both have roads and trails the other does not.
    City Navigator is intended for some of Garmin's Street Pilot models. City Select works with almost all Garmin models. It also contains Canada maps, which Street Atlas does not (unless you get the Canada version).

I also think that once you get the 60csx, if you add City Select, you won't bother with maps on the PDA.

Actually, I've been using my dad's and brother's 60Cs models with Topo and City Select to help me determine whether I wanted to get a similar model and how it would work with my XMap and iPAQ. I think once I'm hiking in the woods, I'll likely not use the handheld much (it's not as rugged or waterproof obviously). However, when driving (especially on back roads and trails) I'll probably continue to use the handheld almost exclusively. The screen and maps are just that much better. It's also faster zooming in and out and panning. It also has voice navigation which is handy when driving.

Thanks for the tip on City Navigator vs. City Select. I couldn't see much of a difference on Garmin's website.

I think this topic has gotten way off course from GSAK--sorry for derailing it Hiram!

I think this topic has gotten way off course from GSAK--sorry for derailing it Hiram!
    Sheesh! Are you kidding? A great many topics go off course - and Hiram is usually the culprit! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Sheesh! Are you kidding? A great many topics go off course - and Hiram is usually the culprit! LOL!
    so anyways, i stopped at this side store to buy an itallian sandwich (for breakfast) and im sittin there in the truck and the darn thing falls apart right onto the floor of the truck! (of course the thing was so disgusting after that i could only eat half the sandwich) what was the topic again? sandwich caches?

hahahahahaha!

hey, the front right tire on my truck is starting to wear really thin on the inside edge of the tire, is that a sign of ball joints or somethin going bad??