vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 60CS Compass problem

My 60CSX does the same thing. I calibrate a couple dozen times some days when caching a lot. I e-mailed Garmin and they told me to install the Beta software. Yea, OK. It doesn't work right so they just put me off in hopes I give up I guess. What really torques me is that Shewolf has the very same unit with the very same software(loaded from my computer) and hers works great so I know it is the GPS.

I'm with LT here. My brother and I have the same GPS model, Garmin72 and ours has very little "bounce" and other problems (this weekend wasn't great though) but my brother's has TONS of bounce issues. His is especially bad in rocky settings. It is weird alright.

Default garmin reply

This is what garmin said:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

This a normal condition. As the unit polarity created when calibrating will
    drift it will require a re-calibration. It is not uncommon to have to
    calibrate on a daily basis sometimes even a few times a day.
    -------------------

I guess from now on I will get in the habit of calibrating my compass at the start of a cache hunt as well as trying to remember to waypoint the car while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I recently started using rechargable batteries, and when I did start using them in my GPS (Garmin 72) It wasn't as stable, it was always bouncing around, I didn't think anything of it until I ran out of rechargable batteries and bought a pack of duracells (the one's the proffesionals use) and lo and behold, my accuracy and stability was back, the GPS wasn't jumping all around, and it had a faster reaction time when I was moving... I don't know what the batteries have to do with the function of the unit (i too am a non beleiver of the concept) but I've been playing around with them for the last 2 weeks and I am noticing differences.
    Wow - now that you mention it, I bet this has something to do with my DNF's. If I think back, I bet I couldn't find the caches when I have rechargeable batteries in. Yeah, that's the ticket! Whew - what a relief to know the cause!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Wow - now that you mention it, I bet this has something to do with my DNF's. If I think back, I bet I couldn't find the caches when I have rechargeable batteries in. Yeah, that's the ticket! Whew - what a relief to know the cause!
    go ahead, laugh at me... i'm just telling it like a see it, and i see the recharable batteries and the gps not working good together, and the duracels make the gps happy again.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Arrow Rechargeables

I've been using a variety of rechargeable batteries for as long as I've been caching. I most always seem to find them. They certainly save me money too.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    go ahead, laugh at me... i'm just telling it like a see it, and i see the recharable batteries and the gps not working good together, and the duracels make the gps happy again.
    Oh - I'm not laughing - I'm just relieved to know why I have had such problems. I'm sticking to alkaline from now on - hehehehe Any reason other than my error is a good enough for me when it comes to explaining a DNF. Carlgurt from Two Reprobates put it quite perfectly at the event this weekend... "I always figure if I can't find the cache then there must be something else going on - it can't possibly be me!"
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Any of you who are using re-chargeables having trouble with your gpsr intermittantly shutting down? My first one did, sent it back for repairs, ended up with a new one and now this one is. Garmin only suggested downloading updated software, 4.10, this time. Maybe they're putting me off for one more week until I'm stuck too.

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls
    Any of you who are using re-chargeables having trouble with your gpsr intermittantly shutting down? My first one did, sent it back for repairs, ended up with a new one and now this one is. Garmin only suggested downloading updated software, 4.10, this time. Maybe they're putting me off for one more week until I'm stuck too.
    Lots of people are having this problem. 2 causes have been explained.
    1) Loose battery connections. Some people roll up electrical tape, or some other non-conductive padding to tighten up the battery connectors.
    2) Somehow vibration (like driving down a dirt road) is doing it. My Vista does this, but the battery terminals are tight against the batteries, so I've just been living with it, but I don't like it

I haven't noticed any difference with the type of batteries in my Magellan . . . but then again it's a Magellan (sorry fellow Magellan users, I just have to get the digs in before Hiram can! )

In all seriousness the only thing I've noticed with rechargeables is that when the low battery alarm appears it means the unit will be shutting down in the next couple of minutes whereas alkalines usually give me several more minutes of use before the unit shuts itself off.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."