vb:literal>

Thread: Cool Reading Material!

Default Cool Reading Material!

You may remember some discussion in the fall about a book on geocaching that was being published. The author, Margot Anne Kelley, also gave a presentation at Colby. The book is now available!

Here is some info about the contents.....

"Kelley traveled throughout the U.S. to chronicle the sites and stories of geocaching adventures, from the rocky coasts of Maine to the deserts surrounding Las Vegas to the starting point of the Mason-Dixon Line. Each striking, full-color photograph exposes a vision of America quite unlike that presented in a traditional guidebook: truly off the beaten path, these are non-idealized landscapes, often places with special meaning for the players alone. Kelley's accompanying writings explore the world of geocaching communities, their rare ability to integrate new technologies with the natural world, and their complex and often ambivalent relationships to the surveillance technologies that sustain the game. In this era when people are increasingly disconnected from the land that surrounds them, geocaching offers an unusual and technologically savvy vision for the future. Kelley's text is a fascinating examination of a new and creative diversion emerging from the intersection of the virtual world with the real. "

How cool is this.......One of our very own cachers is featured. The view at Noreasta's - Belfast by the Bay cache caught the author's eye and she included in her book!

Here is a link to the book on Amazon......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...Fencoding=UTF8
    ~ Beach Comber ~

yes, how true, i actually ordered a copy last fall and it arrived this week, and sure enough, it is a beautifull hard cover book with great little geocaching stories and full page pics. and page 48 is my favorite as it is my Belfast by the Bay cache. ( How Modest) I will try to bring it to the next gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by noreasta
    yes, how true, i actually ordered a copy last fall and it arrived this week, and sure enough, it is a beautifull hard cover book with great little geocaching stories and full page pics. and page 48 is my favorite as it is my Belfast by the Bay cache. ( How Modest) I will try to bring it to the next gathering.
    geeze, she uses your cache and you have to buy the book??? it looks interesting, i'll probably wait until borders has it and i'll hang around there for a few hours to read it...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.