vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information You Can Use

Whenever I get an e-mail warning me about something or telling me some great "secret" tips or news I always check out snopes.com and/or urbanlegends.com to see if it is just an urban legend or not . . . it always amazes me that so many people are so ready to believe virtually anything if they see it in print.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    my key is broke in the ignition! Any cool ideas on how to get the short half out? It is way down in there!
    TAT, have you tried 2 real small screwdrivers, or pick tools? 1 on top, one on the bottom, you might be able to use them like needle-nose pliers. The opening is too small for a "magnet on a stick" and if you tried a drop of superglue on the other end of the key, you would run the risk of gluing the whole thing in there.

Actually, try putting the other half of the key in, put a really strong magnet on it, maybe that will work

Worst case, if you are going to have to replace the ig. switch, try to take it apart, or get at the column end and use something to push the key out. If that looks promising, give me a call, I 'might' be able to give you some pointers on accessing the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    my key is broke in the ignition! Any cool ideas on how to get the short half out? It is way down in there!
    Tom, here's what I found on google:

http://www.ehow.com/how_16770_remove-broken-key.html

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/19805

"many thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. i appreciate you
    taking the time and effort to respond.

i used the grinding a saw blade down into a removal tool method and it
    worked beautifully. (i used a coping saw blade, a starret in fact -- in
    honor of all you metalworkers) "

Looks like the modified saw blade or drill and tap is the way to go (or pay a pro who has the correct tool). The superglue/JB Weld solution does not seem to be considered a good idea.

Let us know if it works!

Follow up:

I made a great looking tool from an old coping saw blade. But, it is just too big for the hole. I'll get it done by a professional with the right tools.

Thanks to all for the advice!