vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Another use for GPSrs besides geocaching

Default RE: Another use for GPSrs besides geocaching

Used the Magellan on Sunday when I gave the coords of the landing zone to one of our Lts. who then relayed them to the Lifeflight pilot.

Here's the link to the story:

http://www.wabi.tv/story.asp?12825

Here are the photos of Lifeflight landing and taking off.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...Photos0003.JPG

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...Photos0004.JPG

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...Photos0005.JPG

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...Photos0006.JPG
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

We have GPSr in all our rescues for that one purpose; to give Lifeflight and the Maine Forestry Service coords for patient pick up and water drops. Works really well and saves lots of time for the pilots....

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    We have GPSr in all our rescues for that one purpose; to give Lifeflight and the Maine Forestry Service coords for patient pick up and water drops. Works really well and saves lots of time for the pilots....
    Unity Ambulance has one too . . . but they were a bit busy and apparently never relayed the coords . . . at least over the air -- they might have called the in via cell phone (though I kind of doubt it since they had multiple injuries.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Default I'm shocked...

...that with the Magellan coordinates they did not land at the Oxford Race Track.... LOL!!!! Seriously, it is amazing how fast technology has become an important part of our lives. This is just another example. My fire department has not started to use GPSr's yet.

Team Teebow 1
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

So if I was out wandering in the woods one day and injured myself, and by some freak act of nature my cell phone was actually getting a signal, I could call 9-11 give them my coords and they would understand what I was saying?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Actually unless you disabled it, some newer cell phones send their position to the emergency responder if you dial 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    So if I was out wandering in the woods one day and injured myself, and by some freak act of nature my cell phone was actually getting a signal, I could call 9-11 give them my coords and they would understand what I was saying?
    I highly doubt that Lifeflight would take off though and search for you based solely on your cell phone call . . . but if you were able to get in touch with emergency providers I am sure that the Rangers, Game Wardens, Search and Rescue personnnel, etc. would be very familiar with coords . . . you'd want to be sure you let them know what type of coords you're using though.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I highly doubt that Lifeflight would take off though and search for you based solely on your cell phone call . . . but if you were able to get in touch with emergency providers I am sure that the Rangers, Game Wardens, Search and Rescue personnnel, etc. would be very familiar with coords . . . you'd want to be sure you let them know what type of coords you're using though.
    so i shouldnt expect to see the 109e flyin overhead if i call in saying im stuck on the hill without any beer.... *sigh*
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I hear them on the scanner all the time. They have a good web page at http://www.lifeflightmaine.org/

The scanner freqs. are
    453.6500 LifeFlight of Maine (EMMC/CMMC)
    and
    458.6500 Lifeflight of Maine repeater on Streaked Mtn

At times I track them as they radio in the cords every few minutes while in the air. I've been able to see them fly by on more than one occasion. It's really amazing how busy they are. They are a great service for the state of Maine to have. My hat goes off to them!

Default Try this

So ever wonder what they are doing with those coordinates when they are radioed in?

If you can hear them try this. Plot the coordinates in a mapping program, Street Atlas or Topo works best. Get a couple of position reports and then try to figure out where they will be at the next report (they call in every 10 mins). See how close you can come.

That is what the comm spe******ts are doing, yes every time...

Actually the freqs that were mentioned are correct, but actually are used on multiple towers throughout the state and on Mt Washington.

Have fun...