Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: And so I gave up...

  1. #1
    dí76 Guest

    Thumbs down And so I gave up...

    Over the last couple of days I have been putting a little something together for an adventure and had to give up. I tried and tried to get good signals and I would waypoint and then try to walk back to that area and would be 300 ft away. I tried everything I canged batteries and even went and borrowed a new gps from a local gps store and nothing worth using. I through the unit in the truck and came home. I figured that the waypoints that i created where so bad that I will have to go back another day to see if it is any better.

    I had lots of satellites and accuracy at time was +/- 18 ft. I think that is pretty good. I would go back after shutting my unit off and then bring it back up and go back to the location and it be 300 plus feet away.

    I will try another day.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    what kind of area is it in? sometimes large rocks, foliage, and other obsticles that can refract radio signals will reek havoc on your GPS. Usually for best acuracy I will visit a waypoint at least twice at different times of the day, and at each visit i will mark 3 waypoints, then i'll take the average of those waypoints. I doubt it's the GPS or the user having problems, ya just need some patience
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  3. #3
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    what kind of area is it in? sometimes large rocks, foliage, and other obsticles that can refract radio signals will reek havoc on your GPS. Usually for best acuracy I will visit a waypoint at least twice at different times of the day, and at each visit i will mark 3 waypoints, then i'll take the average of those waypoints. I doubt it's the GPS or the user having problems, ya just need some patience
    I was in the town square. clear shot of the sky and no trees. I would have had a better chance with TRF's magellan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Do you have an external antenna? I am amazed what a difference it can make when you are struggling for a good signal. Defiantly 20 bucks well spent.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-GPS-Antenna-for-Garmin-60-C320-C330-2720-2730-76_W0QQitemZ9721671720QQcategoryZ58044QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    [QUOTE=Slate]Do you have an external antenna? I am amazed what a difference it can make when you are struggling for a good signal. Defiantly 20 bucks well spent.

    I recently got an external antenna and it does get better signals.
    (But you look silly with it attached to the metal button on top on your hat.)

    And I wear it defiantly!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Over the last couple of days I have been putting a little something together for an adventure and had to give up. I tried and tried to get good signals and I would waypoint and then try to walk back to that area and would be 300 ft away. I tried everything I canged batteries and even went and borrowed a new gps from a local gps store and nothing worth using. I through the unit in the truck and came home. I figured that the waypoints that i created where so bad that I will have to go back another day to see if it is any better.

    I had lots of satellites and accuracy at time was +/- 18 ft. I think that is pretty good. I would go back after shutting my unit off and then bring it back up and go back to the location and it be 300 plus feet away.
    (
    I've had a lot of trouble lately with my 60c as well. We even gave up on one cache recently because we could not get it to within 100 feet.

    (I'll smack the first person who says to get a Magellan!!!)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,573

    Unhappy It must be sun spots Dave

    Remember all the trouble we all had down at MT Ag this past weekend. Yours, mine, and Johns were all acting up.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I've had a lot of trouble lately with my 60c as well. We even gave up on one cache recently because we could not get it to within 100 feet.

    (I'll smack the first person who says to get a Magellan!!!)
    hey bruce, why dontya get a magellan????
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    I wonder if this has anything to do with the satelite house cleaning that the gov is doing up in space???????
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    stonington me
    Posts
    784

    Default

    [quote=WhereRWe?]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slate

    And I wear it defiantly!
    and that's what i like about you! LOL
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •