vb:literal>

Thread: Goings on at Geocaching.com....

Thumbs up Goings on at Geocaching.com....

I'm sure you have all noticed the new Google Maps showing up on the Geocaching.com cache pages. Don't know if any of you have checked this out already, but they are beta-testing the Google Maps for cache maps! It's pretty cool... you can zoom in/out and pan in real time. The only thing it doesn't do yet is show me the caches I've found already but I'm sure they are working on it. Pretty cool!

Heres a THREAD that explains a lot of the doings.
    I messed with it for awhile last night & like it rather well.. takes a bit of getting used to but...

JW
    --... ...-- de N1MLF Echolink #21843

The option to be able to zoom and pan in the map window is great, but when you zoom out to get a rough idea what town a cache is located in there aren't enough town names or other features to put the map in context. I think I will stick to Mapsource and NG Topo for most of my mapping needs.

Wow. That is cool. It is like the old option made 100 times better. I like it.
    Blazing Troll

I'll bet it won't work very good with my slowwwwwww dial-up.

I noticed it and liked the idea that by zooming out you could get an idea of other caches nearby. Still a newbie but an enjoying the hunt!

Maybe it's just me and my dial-up at home, but I don't particularly care for the new maps -- it's very hard for me to figure out the general location (i.e. town) the cache is located in . . . either the map zooms out too far and it only shows major cities and waterways or it is highly detailed -- for some reason I can't get the map to just show me a general location with the town or surrounding towns to give me an idea of where it may be located.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I agree with FirefighterJake completely on all parts. I have trouble with the panning thing and with dial up it tak4es forever. Plus, not knowing all of Maine and its waterways, I like to see what town a cache is near instead of having to figure it out. Gas is too expensive to just drive around trying to figure it out.

If you're having issues with the new maps (like on modems), you might want to check out this thread on the groundspeak forums and add your feedback to that. No one at groundspeak will see your comments here

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=131632

Smile mapping software

We use DeLorme streets 2005. Whereas I travel all over New England in 4 states. I plan my geocaches around the store I am visiting and do a query from those coords. I then transfer the caches to the mapping software and now there's no guess work. Print the map and go caching.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.