vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on My Cache

Default Advice on My Cache

I'd like some opinions and advice, please. I hid my cache, 10th Anniversary Cache, on Oct 31st of last year. Since then, the cache has racked up over 55 "found it" logs, the majority of which were positive. The cache is located on Mackworth Island in Falmouth. For you who aren't familiar with this location, it's an island with a nice trail running around it's perimeter. It's a very popular location and is heavily visited even during the winter.
    Because of the number of muggles who visit, I wanted to hide the cache in a location where they couldn't easily stumble upon it. At ths same time, I wanted to put it in a place where cachers could make a find without muggles watching. An added challenge was making sure my cache was the proper distance from the one other cache on the island.
    So, the place where the cache was hidden is maybe 30 yds (estimate) off of the trail. The vegetation can get a little thick and the ground can be wet. I'm sure the plant life will get even thicker during the summer.
    Recently, there was one log where somebody said they couldn't find the cache and they didn't want to trample the wildlife. Then, this past weekend, two people logged their find, but they suggested moving the cache closer to the trail to avoid trampling nature. They were also surprised at how far off the trail the cache was.
    I'm probably being too sensitive here. As I said before, a majority of the logs for my cache have been positive. My idea of placing a cache is to make it somewhat challenging. What's the point of placing a cache two feet off of a heavily traveled trail? Also, I love to bushwack and get out in the woods, so if I have to actually step off of a trail, it's not a big deal. We live in Maine. Nature is everywhere. You can't help but trample it sometimes.

Thoughts?

Here's the link to my cache:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-4ff09fdc2ea7

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ezchaos
    I'd like some opinions and advice, please. I hid my cache, 10th Anniversary Cache, on Oct 31st of last year. Since then, the cache has racked up over 55 "found it" logs, the majority of which were positive. The cache is located on Mackworth Island in Falmouth. For you who aren't familiar with this location, it's an island with a nice trail running around it's perimeter. It's a very popular location and is heavily visited even during the winter.
    Because of the number of muggles who visit, I wanted to hide the cache in a location where they couldn't easily stumble upon it. At ths same time, I wanted to put it in a place where cachers could make a find without muggles watching. An added challenge was making sure my cache was the proper distance from the one other cache on the island.
    So, the place where the cache was hidden is maybe 30 yds (estimate) off of the trail. The vegetation can get a little thick and the ground can be wet. I'm sure the plant life will get even thicker during the summer.
    Recently, there was one log where somebody said they couldn't find the cache and they didn't want to trample the wildlife. Then, this past weekend, two people logged their find, but they suggested moving the cache closer to the trail to avoid trampling nature. They were also surprised at how far off the trail the cache was.
    I'm probably being too sensitive here. As I said before, a majority of the logs for my cache have been positive. My idea of placing a cache is to make it somewhat challenging. What's the point of placing a cache two feet off of a heavily traveled trail? Also, I love to bushwack and get out in the woods, so if I have to actually step off of a trail, it's not a big deal. We live in Maine. Nature is everywhere. You can't help but trample it sometimes.

Thoughts?

Here's the link to my cache:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-4ff09fdc2ea7
    I havent been to the cache in which you describe so it is hard for me to comment.
    The only thing I have to offer is that in the skeme of things this should be a sport of leave no trace. That is a broad spectrum of things including trampling. If I was in the north maine woods and was placing a cache I wouldnt hasitate to put it off the trail. But in a highly travelled area (which this sounds like it is) I would try to keep it close to the trail. You could make it a micro then you dont have to worry about it. Good luck

I agree with DAve.

And you need to remember that any cache placed off a trail will have a path beat down eventually. Not something I assume a lot of people would want to see at your site.

I haven't done this particular cache, either, but have visited the other one on the island twice. I prefer my caches away from the trail as well, but social trails can be an issue after a while. I would reccomend revisiting the cache in person and seeing for myself just how the vegetation is being affected. You could possibly move it to a better locaion for a period of time and ask the approver to edit the coords accordingly. I seem to remember several places on the island with heavy tree cover and not much ground vegetation. to be damaged.

Thanks for the replies.

I've been back to the location a few times since Halloween. Also, I've walked this trail several times over the years. In the part of the island where the cache is, there usually isn't much ground vegetation. It's mostly medium-large trees. However, near the cache, there are some vines going up some small trees.

As for a path being created, I don't think that will happen. The main trail curves around quite a bit and I doubt cachers would leave the trail at the same point. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I'll have to keep my eye on new logs that get posted. Maybe I'll do some recon on the island for another spot. My wife and I originally searched for quite a while before we found this current location.

I have done this cache back in late fall. I think it's in a suitable location and Its not so far off the trail as to be an issue for me personally. Like others have said, if a "geotrail" becomes prominent you may have to relocate the cache but like you mentioned the area may be immune to the "geotrail" secondary to the type of cover.
    I really enjoy this island and have enjoyed both caches greatly. As far as "trampling" and LNT, its up to the individual cacher to be aware of their actions and the potential damage it may cause.

My two cents.

Happy Caching!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ezchaos
    As for a path being created, I don't think that will happen. The main trail curves around quite a bit and I doubt cachers would leave the trail at the same point. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    That's good. We've been to quite a few caches where you don't even need the GPS - just follow the path. It's quite humorous, really...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    That's good. We've been to quite a few caches where you don't even need the GPS - just follow the path. It's quite humorous, really...
    I know. Obviously it's nice to have easy cache's available for families with young children. However, not all cachers are in this situation. Isn't it nice to a have a little bit of a challenge sometimes? Even if you have to *gasp* step off of the trail and maybe get your shoes a little dirty. Otherwise, what's the point of purchasing and using a GPS?

I think that the cache placement it fine. Although the cache is hidden off the trail, it is still within sight of the trail. I remember the area as being pretty open with little underbrush, so I don't think that a trail will form to the cache. There were some small wet areas, but they were easily avoided. There aren't many potential hiding spots nearby so people aren't going to be trampling the area down looking for the cache. I did get a little tangled in some of the vines, though, but that was only because our dog insisted on going around/under them opposite of me, so the leash caught on the vines.

Post cache advice

The Team did the cache back in the fall. As I remember there isn't much chance of a geotrail being started. My only comment is, there are numerous signs that ask you to stay on the trail. There are only a few places where it is allowed. One is at the fairy hut clearing near the cache. I'll bet though you may be within 500 feet from the other cache on the island. Final thought, leave it where it is and see what happens. You evidentially live nearby and can visit it as needed.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.