vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on My Cache

i personally dont much care for bushwhacking off of trails like that, one way to hide it closer to the trail is by good camofluage, the container counts (ammocans are easy to camo because you can paint em tape em, whatever, but finding the right spot is sometimes tricky) the smaller lock and lock containers are easier to hide because you can hide them in thinner places... or like dave said, just make it a micro.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I hadn't visited this cache but it was on my list of after-work caches so I decided to do this one today, given this discussion. I'd be squarely on the side of moving this to a different location.

There are some geopaths being created here, particularly through the tangles - one to the west and one to the east. The wet areas to the west of the cache are full of footprints, and now mine are included. Like me, the other visitors here are trying to avoid to previous person's tracks but instead are widening the problem.

In most other places, I would be okay with this placement. It's a little damp but no problem; there are lots of muggles but no problem. However, there are no less than 6 signs that either say stay on the trail or do not go off the trail. I think they mean it.

I understand the challenges associated with placing the cache given the popularity of the place and the location of the other cache (It's about .25 miles away). But there has to be some other place this cache can be located to without having these problems. IMHO, if you get another 100 visitors here (families/teams and small children especially), the area around the cache is toast.

I'd ask the owner for advice on where to place the cache.

The reason I say this is because I did not follow my own advice! Last night, I learned through GC.com that the land owner is concerned about the "social trails" that have formed over the years to my cache and two others. In the next few days, I hope to find an acceptable solution.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    I'd ask the owner for advice on where to place the cache.

The reason I say this is because I did not follow my own advice! Last night, I learned through GC.com that the land owner is concerned about the "social trails" that have formed over the years to my cache and two others. In the next few days, I hope to find an acceptable solution.
    Asking the land owner is a good idea even if it is a preserve and placing them in the least destructive hiding place is very important to keeping friends. I just moved one because of the geotrail to it although it was only 20ft from the path. I replaced it in a different spot along the path, even closer, but with no possiblilty of a geotrail being created. Another one I have in a preserve is placed so you don't have to move anything or disturb anything but is still well-hidden within 10ft of the trail. I have been the third person to find a cache and was able to follow the geotrail to it already! I did this cache last fall with leaves still on the trees and had to wander around a little before finding the cache. Under fully leaved-out trees gpsr readings will cause much searching and more destruction. I would consider moving it and using a creative hide...there are certainly many options. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the comments. I've disabled the cache until I can find another location on the island.

Default Maine,the way caching should be

However it first happened we have all started talking about ways and places to put out caches. This is Maine not NJ, or NY. We have a beautiful state and need to keep it that way. Recently, my position has changed to more restrictive placing of caches. Thanks to you. I know Hoamdezinahs plans on making this a topic at the event this Friday night. Let's keep this going and maybe even adopt a few guidelines for placing new caches. I will think twice before I place a cache. We can make a difference. Otherwise it may come to a cache at every lamp post.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Or a Dalmation on every fire hydrant? ;(
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    However it first happened we have all started talking about ways and places to put out caches. This is Maine not NJ, or NY. We have a beautiful state and need to keep it that way. Recently, my position has changed to more restrictive placing of caches. Thanks to you. I know Hoamdezinahs plans on making this a topic at the event this Friday night. Let's keep this going and maybe even adopt a few guidelines for placing new caches. I will think twice before I place a cache. We can make a difference. Otherwise it may come to a cache at every lamp post.
    I agree with that, my perspective has changed quite a bit over the years after seeing what some caches in the wrong spots and cachers with the wrong idea can do to an area.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Using some of your suggestions, I went out to Mackworth on Saturday in the pouring rain and removed the cache from its original location. The new location is a short distance away, about 15-20 feet off of the main trail. I also did away with the ammo box and created a small cache out of pvc pipe parts. Basically, it has four pieces that fit together and and each end has a screw top. There's enough room in it for a small log and a couple of golf pencils. The parts were cheap and I'd like to use this design elsewhere, although I'd like to use bigger parts so there'd be more room to put stuff.

Again, thanks for the help.

I would have stuck with the ammo box if you could find an suitable location. I'm not a big fan of the PVC pipe cache. I don't think that is nearly as weather tight because they often don't get closed well enough, and sometimes when they are closed you can't get it open again because the threads are dirty, frozen, or cross-threaded.