vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saco River Trip

Unhappy Darn

Just ordered my new tent for my pick-up and looking forward to a kayaking event but we'll be in New York this week...and I've done all the listed caches. Like the Red Sox...there's always next year.

This sounds like fun. Children can come?? Well, teenage children is what we have 13 and 15. Guess I need to talk to the rest of the team and see if we have anything going on that weekend. Camping too, did I read that? A bunch of cachers floating down the river...sounds cool to me!!! Keep us all posted!!! Woo Hoo what fun!!!
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

I don't see why children can not come this is an easy trip.

Gary are you coordinating this?

If Tink does not come I may have an extra kayak for someone to use. I also have a canoe that people can use. But they will have to provide the life preservers.
    Blazing Troll

Post Coming together

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Gary, I assume you are starting at the put in behind the fairgrounds. But where are you taking out at? Are you going to route 302 or to the next road crossing that I think is route 160?
    shortened.

I have never used this launch before. Is there adequate parking? Route 160 is correct and is ok with me to take out. We paddle right by a cache that way too. Elephant's Den. No one is in charge here, it's by popular vote. I plan to eat on the river. Just bringing some small stuff to munch on. We can stop along the way and eat ona sandbar, as earlier stated.

So now we know the date and place. Now we need to set a meeting time and place.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default Sounds Great!

I may continue on to the dam and camp out overnight. Can't wait to go, I missed the Saco last year.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    I may continue on to the dam and camp out overnight. Can't wait to go, I missed the Saco last year.
    I have only gone any further then route 302. So I can not say much for route 160 launch area. I have visted it one before and it seems to be alright. But it sounds like Tom may know more about this. I know you have to pay for parking at the starting area and route 302 when I last did this.

Tom

How about shedding some light on the two options here, either route 302 or 160. What do you recommend? I would like to hear more about the dam you are talking about. I may be interested in spending the night also.
    Blazing Troll

Exclamation came across this today....

Here's a neat link, for the fanatics.Kayaking Crazy - Kayaking
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Tom
    How about shedding some light on the two options here, either route 302 or 160. What do you recommend? I would like to hear more about the dam you are talking about. I may be interested in spending the night also.
    I don't think either place charges. I usually put in at Lovell Pond and take out in Hiram at the intersection of 113 and 117. There are some rapids (not big) at the AMC campground between 302 and 160. (Right at the cache!)

Camping is a little tough. Some would like to see no camping at all on the river, but there are some places that are still legal. I met one of the land owners and he said he did not mind campers, so that is where I'll set up.

The whole river is very kid friendly, but keep in mind that there are usually some rowdy people as well. A peaceful camp site can instantly turn into a rather loud party spot.

Here's a handy map for planning purposes:

http://www.woodlandacres.com/canoing.php#map

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Here's a handy map for planning purposes:

http://www.woodlandacres.com/canoing.php#map
    Nice map.

I have always put in at right below Swan Falls and gone to route 302. But that is really a very **** trip in my opinion. It is only about 10 miles and your moving with the current.

I would like to put in below Swan Falls but I will go with what ever everyone else wants. We can do the whole river trip or part of it.

I am game for this and I am looking forward to this.

Maybe we can discuss this more in depth at the 17 June event the weekend before.
    Blazing Troll