vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saco River Trip

So is this going to be a geo event? I did a stretch on the Saco River a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it . . . a nice current, but nothing too wild and crazy for us novice canoeists/kayakers.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

The Saco river has no real current. There are groups like I said that do this as an all day event and bring coolers of beer to float in the river with them. Some people just sit and float with the current on innner tubes. There are no rapids from below Swan Falls to route 302. I can not speak from that point further though.
    Blazing Troll

Post Not an event

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    So is this going to be a geo event? I did a stretch on the Saco River a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it . . . a nice current, but nothing too wild and crazy for us novice canoeists/kayakers.
    There are no plans to make this an event. It's just a bunch of good friends spending time together. Doing what we love to do. Hope to see alot of you make this trip.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Exclamation Some of the details

Here are some of the details so far. The date is Saturday, June 24th. The meeting place is the grocery store on route 302 across from jockey cap. For anyone who has not done this cache ( GCH8J3 ) arrive early, it is NOT to be missed. 30 minutes at best to complete the hike. The time is still TBD. I know some of you will be travelling a good distance and some of you are bringing kids. So I'm thinking the time will be closer to 10:00 AM. We can put in at the bridge on route 5, Canal Bridge and there are several places to pull out along the river, depending on how far you want to go. We are open to any other ideas, so let us know. Camping was discused for anyone who wants to stay overnight. Hope you can all make it. I am including the map that Tat supplied earlier to help you with my planning.Woodland Acres Campground, Saco River Canoeing At Its Best This is NOT a plug for the campground, it is WAY TOO expensive.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I changed the title to this thread since it is now about the Saco River trip that Team2Hunt is organizing and also because Gary asked me to.
    Blazing Troll

Exclamation Updated Saco River Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    Here are some of the details so far. The date is Saturday, June 24th. The meeting place is the grocery store on route 302 across from jockey cap. For anyone who has not done this cache ( GCH8J3 ) arrive early, it is NOT to be missed. 30 minutes at best to complete the hike.
    The meeting time will be 9:30. The place is listed above. We need to get a head count on those planning to come along. Dropping vehicles and the place to pull out will have to be decided on as soon as possible. Please respond here by Wednesday. Everyone is welcome, and I hope to see alot of you on the river. Thanks Rick for renaming the thread.

I plan to go. I can take one more boat as well, if that helps anyone.

I am planning on coming. I will not know if Tink will come with us until the end of the week. Her foot is still sore from her foot surgery. She said she will know Thursday hopefully.
    Blazing Troll

Default Be glad you folks didn't pick this camping area

A clip from www.mainetoday.com todays edition

Woman killed when tree falls on tent

News 8 - WMTW

FRYEBURG — A Freeport woman has died in a freak accident after a tree fell on the tent she and two friends were in at a campground in Fryeburg.

Fryeburg Police Chief Wayne Brooking said Dara Kaufman, 22, was camping at the Fiddlehead Campground on the Saco River with two friends from Portland when a thunderstorm with high winds passed through at about 7 p.m. on Monday.

The winds knocked down a large oak tree, which fell onto the tent, killing Kaufman.

Her two companions, a man and a woman, also were in the tent but were uninjured
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

I'm interested, but have no way to get my canoe there and must be back on the road heading toward Portland by 2:30 or so.

Is anyone planning to leave the area by 2:30 - that has space on their boat that I could tag along?

Bird Nerd
    Stacie