vb:literal>

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiram and WhereRwe's Beer Chat Thread

Default Beer/planes

The beer on most jets sucks, usually lukewarm Miller Lite or similar no taste crap. You'd think they could put a few bottles of micro brew or maybe a GIQ of Colt 45 on those little carts!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Speaking of that, what are the windmills for?
    I believe the windmills out at the airport are for aerating the nearby "lagoons" . . . supposedly has to do with keeping the area environmentally green by containing and cleaning up contaminants from the de-icing procedures.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Happy Birthday!

Today is the 75th birthday of CANNED beer!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Today is the 75th birthday of CANNED beer!

YAHOOOOOO!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANNED BEER! Now that's a good reason to celebrate
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Which Reminds Me...

I had a friend call me today - all upset.

He said he'd bought a 12-pack of Stella Artois today, and it was in a different container than it has been in the past. He also said that the beer was different: it was lighter in color, and tasted like Bud Light.

Sheesh!

I still have a 6-pack of Stella in the kegerator that I've had for a while (I keep it for guests (I don't get many of those, though), so I told him to come over tomorrow and we'd compare the two.

Sigh... When we lived in Belgium, we had Stella delivered in wooden crates to our doorstep. I miss the "good-old-days"...

Default Good ol' days..

I lived in Vienna Austria for a little over a year. While Germany is renowned for their beer, Austria has beer that's just as good.

In Vienna, the folks that do public works type work are allowed to drink beer while they work. The beer of choice is Schwechharter. A case comes in a plastic tray that looks like what the bread guys use to deliver bread to the supermarkets. It was common to see a trench being dug with a few "trays" of beer sitting on the pile the worker were digging.

The best Austrian beer is Gooserspeciale, a full flavored lager. The Weinachtsbock, Christmas beer, is very powerful and back then it was helpful that the Austrian hausfrau that was my landlady "knew people" otherwise I might still be in jail.

Like Bruce, I occasionally miss the "good ol' days" except for those minor scrapes that resulted from "over achieving."

Can you imagine Maine DOT workers with a case of Old Milwaukee sitting on the guardrail?

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I lived in Vienna Austria for a little over a year. While Germany is renowned for their beer, Austria has beer that's just as good.
    Sheesh! I have no memory of the beer brands in Austria. Since I "popped the question" to RULOST2? in 1976 on the balcony of a small hotel in Salzburgh in 1976, perhaps I had other things on my mind on that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I have no memory of the beer brands in Austria. Since I "popped the question" to RULOST2? in 1976 on the balcony of a small hotel in Salzburgh in 1976, perhaps I had other things on my mind on that trip.

that's a totally different thread!!! and I don't think one that we want to hear!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    that's a totally different thread!!! and I don't think one that we want to hear!
    Sheesh! It was a nice story - with a very happy ending. LOL!

Sure wish I could remember about the beer, though. Must have been good stuff to put me in a crazy mood...

But that's among the reasons I always encourage people to travel. We spent a month camping in Switzerland and Austria - a month I'll never forget (for MANY reasons! LOL!)

Default Steigr?

While Schwechater and Gooser Spezial are all through Austria, does Steigr job your memory, Bruce? That seemed like the go-to beer in Western Austria.

Had a nice Geary's Hampshire Ale in a properly frosted mug today at the Kennebec Tavern in Bath on the river. Very nice after a few miles of snowshoe caching!