vb:literal>

Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiram and WhereRwe's Beer Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Although I lived there for 7 years, I left Europe 25 years ago. At my age, I can barely remember being there! LOL!
    I left 39 years ago.....Maybe I caused alot of them to close before you ever got there!

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I left 39 years ago.....Maybe I caused alot of them to close before you ever got there!

That is not the case, Pat. I was there in '71 and '72 and I found bar stools named after you and newspaper articles on the wall with your picture prominently displayed. It might have been your return to the States that caused business to slip a bit! I'm pretty sure '71 and '72 were good years for gasthauses in the Vienna area.

Oh to be young again!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, however......
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/co...%2F19349810%2F
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    I know I'm preaching to the choir, however......
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/co...%2F19349810%2F
    That could explain why my skull is so thick!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I think you and I should go for a beer ;-)
    I just had a Michelob "Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale", flavored with "Madagascar vanilla beans", and aged in bourbon oak casks. This sounded really wierd, but I had to try it.

I thought it was great, although "Beer Advocate" reviews only give it a "C". I also though the vanilla complemented the malt - a strange combination producing an unexpected result.

(And I never drive after drinking. I drink at home or at a hotel restaurant/lounge.)

People actually put beer in caches for FTF? Is that why so many people would run you off the road to get FTF? I bet we get a lot more 13 year olds caching now!

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    People actually put beer in caches for FTF? Is that why so many people would run you off the road to get FTF? I bet we get a lot more 13 year olds caching now!
    Actually, putting beer (alcohol) in a cache is against the rules. But I have gotten a FTF prize that was a coupon good for a 6-pack at a certain store. Was a long time a ago and I don't remember where, but I got the 6-pack. LOL!

After 9 months stuck in a sandbag encrusted foxhole on the outskirts of Diyarbakir, Turkey building up to Desert Storm, they finally let up go on leave. My original plan was to go to Birchtesgaden, Germany for skiing. My leave date: January 18th, 1991. The kickoff of the air campaign for Desert Storm: January 17th 1991. Needless to say, my leave was canceled. (The Air Force did refund all of our money though, which I thought was nice.) In April 1991 leave was granted again and 4 of us went to Italy. We landed in Aviano AFB. A friend of ours met us there and took us into one of the small villages that surround the area. A couple of things really stand out: My friend was driving a 1988 Ford F-150 Crew cab that he had shipped over from the U.S. He got pulled over all the time by Italian Carbs (cops, Carabinieri) because the truck was so much bigger than anything they had seen they wanted to try it. (In fact it was so big that it did not fit on some of the village roads) Every village pub had 20+ beers. This was in an era when servicemen were treated to Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller lite and Coors. At the ripe old age of 20 I had no idea what microbrews were. Every pub (which is pronounced pub in Italian) offered specialized glasses with the beer. They watched Americans like hawks, because we stole the glasses. The beer I drank the first night was called
    LA BIERE DU DEMON

(The Demon Beer, That should have been a clue)
    http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/dudemon.htm

Did I mention this was 12% beer?

For a couple of Airmen who had just spent 9 months in a third world country this stuff was truly Ambrosia.

Somehow I don't remember leaving the pub. I miss Italy.

The Turk beer of choice was Tuborg. The rumor was that it was brewed with Formaldehyde.

That is my favorite Europe beer memory.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    After 9 months stuck in a sandbag encrusted foxhole on the outskirts of Diyarbakir, Turkey building up to Desert Storm, they finally let up go on leave. My original plan was to go to Birchtesgaden, Germany for skiing. My leave date: January 18th, 1991. The kickoff of the air campaign for Desert Storm: January 17th 1991. Needless to say, my leave was canceled. (The Air Force did refund all of our money though, which I thought was nice.) In April 1991 leave was granted again and 4 of us went to Italy. We landed in Aviano AFB. A friend of ours met us there and took us into one of the small villages that surround the area. A couple of things really stand out: My friend was driving a 1988 Ford F-150 Crew cab that he had shipped over from the U.S. He got pulled over all the time by Italian Carbs (cops, Carabinieri) because the truck was so much bigger than anything they had seen they wanted to try it. (In fact it was so big that it did not fit on some of the village roads) Every village pub had 20+ beers. This was in an era when servicemen were treated to Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller lite and Coors. At the ripe old age of 20 I had no idea what microbrews were. Every pub (which is pronounced pub in Italian) offered specialized glasses with the beer. They watched Americans like hawks, because we stole the glasses. The beer I drank the first night was called
    LA BIERE DU DEMON

(The Demon Beer, That should have been a clue)
    http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/dudemon.htm

Did I mention this was 12% beer?

For a couple of Airmen who had just spent 9 months in a third world country this stuff was truly Ambrosia.

Somehow I don't remember leaving the pub. I miss Italy.

The Turk beer of choice was Tuborg. The rumor was that it was brewed with Formaldehyde.

That is my favorite Europe beer memory.

Ya know, it's stories like that, that make me wish I would have joined the service. But c'mon demon beer? can't be that bad...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Sheesh! Are you kidding? Tuborg was great compared to one brand we had on the other side of the country: Efes. It literally killed a guy I knew. (Really!)

But it must have improved over the years if the Alstrom brothers gave it a "B+" and commented that it was "very good".