vb:literal>

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiram and WhereRwe's Beer Chat Thread

Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Sheesh! Pennsylvania!

Yesterday I said that I was going to buy a couple of cases of Yuengling Traditional Lager to bring home. LOL! Silly me!

The Story:

My favorite supermarket inthe whole world is Wegman's. More than a grocery store, more like a food "mall". Many stores have sushi bars, bagel bakeries, pizza shops, and (my favorite) a wood-fired bread oven for artisan breads.

So I do a Garmin search for a Wegman's, and find one on our route (Allentown, PA). We go to the store and load up the shopping cart with several items including some Dutch cheese, Lebanon Baloney, fresh bagels and croissants, 2 12-packs of Yuengling and 1 mixed 6-pack of exotic brews.

We go to the check-out, and the cashier tells us we can only buy 196 ounces of beer at a time, and then only at the store's "restaurant". (An interesting court case about Wegman's and their quest to sell beer at their "restaurant is here.) So I stay with the groceries, and RULost2? takes the brew to the "restaurant". I'm waiting at the exit with my bags when I see her motioning to me. She only had one 12-pack, and say I have to go to the restaurant to buy the mixed 6-pack. You're only allowed to buy one "package" of beer. I want the mixed 6-pack to share with a specific beer-drinking friend, so I go to get it. I have to show my driver's license, but there is a problem because their driver's license scanning machine won't recognize the Maine license. Since the cashier has already gone through this with RULost2?, she looks at me and let's it go.

Sheesh!

Word of advice: If you want to buy beer in Pennsylvania, go to what they call "distributors", where you can buy anything - like in a liquor store. (From experience on a previous trip - they have a fantastic selection - but you have to buy a case or more - no 6-packs!) And they're hard to find if you're not a local. I'll be glad to get back to Maine where you can buy beer in any store!

(Note: There is hope!)

Default Stupid Pennsylvania Beer Laws

Read this!

OK, Maine has some screwed up laws, but the PA beer laws are VERY screwy.

Default I'm so Happy

That I finally get to contribute to this post! I made a west coast trip to L.A. last week and tried two beers that I do not see around here. First was in O'Hare where I tried a Goose Rocks Honker Ale. Not bad, a lot like Sam's Boston Ale but a good overall beer. In Long Beach California I got to visit a place called "The Yard" (they now have a location near Fenway) Well over 100 beers on Tap. I tried an amazing beer called "Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat" I would love to find that on the shelf at Shaws. Beer On!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I tried an amazing beer called "Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat" I would love to find that on the shelf at Shaws. Beer On!
    Most stores in Maine carry only the "usual suspects". We've been going to Boston a lot recently for RULost2?'s medical appointments (back again on the 31st!!!), and it is so interesting to see so many varieties of beer in the larger liquor stores.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 08-23-2010 at 06:59 PM.

We visited the Yuengling brewery in Pottsville, PA this summer (oldest brewery in America) They had caves dug into the hillside for storage space and to take advantage of natural refrigeration. It was a fascinating place and the beer was oh so yummy.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    We visited the Yuengling brewery in Pottsville, PA this summer (oldest brewery in America) They had caves dug into the hillside for storage space and to take advantage of natural refrigeration. It was a fascinating place and the beer was oh so yummy.
    Yes - Yuengling is very good. I have some in the fridge right now.

But thanks for the info on the brewery tour. We'll make a point of doing it the next time we're in the area. If you happen to head that way again, try and visit the Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, New York. also a great tour and great brews.

Tonight's brew: (my favorite) Moosehead.

At the Last Cache Bashe event today, Parmachenee and Team2Hunt recommended "Arrogant Bastard Ale". I guess I'll have to try that.

I also mentioned that I had recently tried "Old Leghumper". I suggested that they don't bother to try and find it...

I talked to Hiram today. He didn't say much about beer. And he's trying to grow a beard. I don't know about Hiram...

Default A Great Accessory for Geocachers!

After that last post, I was browsing the Moosehead website, and found this item in the Moosehead store that would be a great asset for geocachers!

Sheesh! Gotta get one of those...