vb:literal>

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiram and WhereRwe's Beer Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Speaking of beer, Do you watch the Dogfish( I think That's the name) Brewery show. It was on last night. They went to egypt to get yeast spores from the air.
    I've watched several episodes of the program, but not this one. I saw a program a couple of years ago on Discovery or something about how they reconstructed an ancient beer from the remains in old pottery.

Just like I didn't watch the episode in which they made beer from chewed grain that they then spit into the container.

And yeast spores are always in the air - everywhere. I've made bread several times using wild airborne years. Great flavor!

Yup, They showed the guy that did the old pottery research and that chewing grain guy, eeeewwwwww.
    Gonna research how to capture air borne spores. It's intriging

Just go to the mall during flu season and breathe in deeply!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

When I make Turkish Ekmek (bread), I put 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water in a stoneware crock and place it on top of the refrigerator. The next day I add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water, stir it well, and leave for another day. The third day I add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water and stir it well. The 4th day, the mixture should be bubbly and smell a little sour (like a sourdough, but not as strong, but actually called a "biga" - or bread starter.) (If it isn't bubbly, fake it and add 1 tablespoon of dry yeast.)

Put in a large bowl (I use my Kitchenaid Mixer), add 2 cups warm water, 2 teaspoons salt, and gradually mix in 4 cups flour. Then rise, shape and cook like any rustic loaf.

Fantastic - and best eaten with beer and cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Just go to the mall during flu season and breathe in deeply!
    LOL!!!!! Good One

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    When I make Turkish Ekmek (bread), I put 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water in a stoneware crock and place it on top of the refrigerator. The next day I add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water, stir it well, and leave for another day. The third day I add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water and stir it well. The 4th day, the mixture should be bubbly and smell a little sour (like a sourdough, but not as strong, but actually called a "biga" - or bread starter.) (If it isn't bubbly, fake it and add 1 tablespoon of dry yeast.)

Put in a large bowl (I use my Kitchenaid Mixer), add 2 cups warm water, 2 teaspoons salt, and gradually mix in 4 cups flour. Then rise, shape and cook like any rustic loaf.

Fantastic - and best eaten with beer and cheese!
    Can the last part be done in a bread maker?

Can the last part be done in a bread maker?
    Of course! (Oh wait - you mean one of those small electric make-and-bake all in the same unit bread makers? I doubt it - a lot of dough there, and fairly heavy, too.)
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 12-18-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Default Christmas Eve!

On Christmas Eve, I'm having McSorley's Irish Pal Ale. I didn't think it was too bad - definitely won't be a favorite - but had I read the Beer Advocate review before buying, I would have passed it up.

Don't think I would buy it again...

My neighbor came by a little while ago to wish me a Merry Christmas. Also brought me a 12-pack of Stella Artois. Great neighbor!
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 12-24-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Default Stella Artois

As a matter of fact, Stella Artois was originally crafted as a Christmas present to the people of Leuven, Belgium. (So says the Steall Artois website...) LOL!

I just finished a new home brew by my brother. I will save one for you Bruce. A very hoppy brew. I will bring it to the wwwwwwwwwwwww event.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright