vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Railroad trespassing

Trainhunter,

While I respect that people do need to be reminded of the danger of RR tracks after searching the maine statues, contacting the lawyer for the Maine State police and other outdoor entusiests I have not finding any info that even implies that it would be ileagal to just cross the tracks I need to ask you if you can find this law. I do not wish to cause anyone to break the Law either intensionally or by not being aware and would not Place a cache that would require anyone to violate the law. If I do decided to reenable my cache I am planning on placeing a warning about the track though.
    Any further info would be appreciated.

RobT

The Calais branch of what was Maine Central RR is abandoned and the property is owned by the State. When I placed Hobo's Companion
    I spent the better half of a day getting the runaround from various state offices before getting the OK for a cache on their property. The lady at the state said they were ok with hikers and snow sleds when theres sufficient snow cover but they generally discouraged ATV usage. I made note of this on my cache page.
    The only "RR related" use I've seen in the last several years are some folks that bought or built "putt-putt" cars that cruise the rails where they're fit to travel on. We might get a dozen or so during the summer months. Actually I'd like to build one for the fun of it..

JW
    --... ...-- de N1MLF Echolink #21843

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    Trainhunter,

While I respect that people do need to be reminded of the danger of RR tracks after searching the maine statues, contacting the lawyer for the Maine State police and other outdoor entusiests I have not finding any info that even implies that it would be ileagal to just cross the tracks I need to ask you if you can find this law.
    RobT
    Well, this crossed my mind once or twice as well. Can someone cite a statute on this?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Well, this crossed my mind once or twice as well. Can someone cite a statute on this?
    I think I posted this earlier, but since it's gone to four pages' worth, I can't remember anymore.
    "1. Walking or standing on track or bridge. A person may not, without right, stand or walk on a railroad track or railroad bridge or pass over a railroad bridge except by railroad conveyance." -- MRSA Title 23, §7007; Penalty for being on track or bridge or entering track with team or vehicle (23MRSA7007) [Emphasis added.]

In 1999, Maine had 625 active grade crossings located at public roads. I don't know how many bridges over tracks are public ways, with provisions for pedestrian and/or vehicle traffic, but designated crossings and bridges are the only places anyone should be crossing any track that is not legally abandoned, unless they own the property where a recognized private crossing is, or otherwise have permission to use same.
    Re the cache that referred to going onto the B&ML trestle, my thanks to all who cooperated in abating a potentially dangerous situation. I had a conversation with someone at the B&ML today, and they appreciate your respecting their property. They will be taking steps to make sure that "fisherfolk" and others don't go trespassing under a belief that the line is "abandoned."
    I wish you all many safe and enjoyable placing/finding expeditions. Thanks again.

--
    Doug Clark
    "Stay off! Stay away! Stay Alive!"

Quote Originally Posted by TrainHunter
    I think I posted this earlier, but since it's gone to four pages' worth, I can't remember anymore.
    "1. Walking or standing on track or bridge. A person may not, without right, stand or walk on a railroad track or railroad bridge or pass over a railroad bridge except by railroad conveyance." -- MRSA Title 23, §7007; Penalty for being on track or bridge or entering track with team or vehicle (23MRSA7007) [Emphasis added.]
    OK, thanks. I've printed that out and will attach it to my windshield visor to remind me to NEVAH, EVAH walk on a railroad track,or cross the track with my team.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    OK, thanks. I've printed that out and will attach it to my windshield visor to remind me to NEVAH, EVAH walk on a railroad track,or cross the track with my team.
    geeze bruce... you just couldnt leave well enough alone....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    geeze bruce... you just couldnt leave well enough alone....

I get cranked when some people take simple things to extremes...

Quote Originally Posted by TrainHunter

In 1999, Maine had 625 active grade crossings located at public roads. I don't know how many bridges over tracks are public ways, with provisions for pedestrian and/or vehicle traffic, but designated crossings and bridges are the only places anyone should be crossing any track that is not legally abandoned, unless they own the property where a recognized private crossing is, or otherwise have permission to use same.
    Re the cache that referred to going onto the B&ML trestle, my thanks to all who cooperated in abating a potentially dangerous situation. I had a conversation with someone at the B&ML today, and they appreciate your respecting their property. They will be taking steps to make sure that "fisherfolk" and others don't go trespassing under a belief that the line is "abandoned."
    I wish you all many safe and enjoyable placing/finding expeditions. Thanks again.

--
    Doug Clark
    "Stay off! Stay away! Stay Alive!"
    Trainhunter,

Thanks for the update. I am working on moving it and it is disabled it till I gan get it moved. Thanks for your help

Default Have you seen this??

May 23 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=15573754>gpsfun (319 found)
    Greetings, **********.
    After reviewing the corrected coordinates, the forgotten town cache number GCVNJV appears to be placed close to a railroad track. It is a Federal offense to place an object like a Geocache near an active rail line. A Geocacher has been arrested, jailed, had to go to court and paid a large fine for placing a cache near an active railroad line. The local bomb squad destroyed his cache. You can read more about it here: (visit link)
    Please note carefully the May 5, 2002 log titled Hillwilly's Day In Court.
    Since this is an active rail line, even if it is only used infrequently, this cache must be moved or removed. This is covered in the guidelines and requirements to place a cache: (visit link)
    If you are able to move the cache so it is not on the railroad right of way or on private property, please make the appropriate changes in the cache coordinates. Please do not enable the cache page until this is resolved.
    Thanks, -gpsfun
    geocaching.com volunteer reviewer