vb:literal>

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mga Geo Rallye

Post New and Different

Because it is different the Team is going to be there. Sounds like a GIANT scavenger hunt and I want to say I was part of it. kayakerinme and I had 2 other members but we seem to have lost them. KK to a trip across Cananda and Ordinary Shark to a trip to Seattle. That leaves 2 open seats in the Tahoe. We'll be taking applications ( please send the non-refundable $10.00 with your paperwork) Seriously, this is going to be fun. Forget the cost, I've spent more caching up in the middle of nowhere before. And no prizes. Where's your " lets beat those southerners ".
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    ...one that was like this at the Mt. Agamenticus ...
    The event is not at all like the game I put on for the Mt. A. event.

What they describe is a lot like a car rally. I think the places will be a fair distance apart and the idea is not to race to see who is the fastest, but rather to complete the course and find the most items.

If you like driving around (with the top down!), you'll love this. If you'd rather be walking 10 miles into the woods, you probably won't. It's unlikely that there will be crowds at the caches, because everyone will be starting from a different place.

Unfortunately, I will be at a family reunion in Montana, so, I won't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    Forget the cost, I've spent more caching up in the middle of nowhere before. And no prizes. Where's your " lets beat those southerners ".
    For alot of us with families and children that cache with us, this would not be fun. I have a girls 13 and 9 and no where in the rally description do I see where children are taken into consideration. How many kids this age are gonna want to be dragged around for 300 miles that will take 12-14 hours? As far as the cost.....well, some of you have thicker wallets than we do and can well afford to ram around for a day of fun......others, have to budget and plan their caching accordingly. Prizes....who cares, but with the money they'll be taking in, I should hope that they would be giving out new GPSr units and laptops as prizes, and more than one at that. I cache for the enjoyment of getting out in the woods being with my family. As far as beating "those southerners" We already have! I'll take caching up here in the middle of "No where" anyday, the prize for that.......being in the middle of no where.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    For alot of us with families and children that cache with us, this would not be fun. I have a girls 13 and 9 and no where in the rally description do I see where children are taken into consideration. How many kids this age are gonna want to be dragged around for 300 miles that will take 12-14 hours? As far as the cost.....well, some of you have thicker wallets than we do and can well afford to ram around for a day of fun......others, have to budget and plan their caching accordingly. Prizes....who cares, but with the money they'll be taking in, I should hope that they would be giving out new GPSr units and laptops as prizes, and more than one at that. I cache for the enjoyment of getting out in the woods being with my family. As far as beating "those southerners" We already have! I'll take caching up here in the middle of "No where" anyday, the prize for that.......being in the middle of no where.

You couldnt have said it better

d’76 Guest

After doing extensive research I discovered Maine is about 314 miles from one end to the other and that means that Howland is about half way at 157 miles from the southern tip of Maine. Does this mean that every one south of Howland is from Southern Maine

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    After doing extensive research I discovered Maine is about 314 miles from one end to the other and that means that Lincoln is half way at 157 miles from the southern tip of Maine. Does this mean that every one south of Lincoln is from Southern Maine
    I would be in agreement with that statement. But I truly believe its where your heart resides.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    refundable $10.00 with your paperwork) Seriously, this is going to be fun. Forget the cost, I've spent more caching up in the middle of nowhere before. And no prizes. Where's your " lets beat those southerners ".

Hmmm, forget the cost???!!!!! NOPE!!! LOL. I've never spent over $150.00 in one day to get 20 caches. I've never driven over a hundred miles in one day for 20 caches.

So this really is about north vs. south.

Seriously, geocaching has never been a competition for me. Prizes are a nice touch but have little appeal. The money it would cost me to go for one day would buy a nice used vista C or legend C sure thing; winning a prize is a lot riskier. Then like Smitty and I mentioned, the length of the event kind of rules out bringing the kiddoes. Sitting in a car 12-14 hours finding 35 mm canisters would be nice for me but would bore my kids into a coma. While it would be great to get together and chat with folks at an event and even get 20 caches in one day, my priorities are my kids then geocaching , then my wife. (I can never remember, is that the right order?)

I hope those who participate have a great time!!

I will have a great time bringing my daughters to one cache on the coast somewhere, grabbing an ice cream cone with them, then play a little minature golf. (50 miles to the beach maybe --$10.00 in gas--, $12.00 ice cream for everyone, and $25.00 for a round of minature golf and the whole gang has fun, not just me.)

I'll be geocaching for awhile, the numbers will happen. I'm not overly concerned with getting all the caches or reaching my 500th or 600th find by a certain date or about bragging rights that I've found more caches than another cacher. This is what is great about geocaching! Everyone can do it and do it their way!!!!

Have fun and good luck. May the person with the best laptop, gps, software and digital camera come in last !!! or at least get the 200 dollar speeding ticket!!! Just kidding!!! Have fun and good luck!!!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Who is the "M.G.A." that is sponsoring this?

http://www.maritimegeocaching.com/

Is it just me or does everything in this thread seem to be negative? If it's just me, then nevermind. If it isn't... why?

Paraphrasing what gpsfun said it the other night at the event - the game is big enough that everyone can do what they want and still find enjoyment. If you want 10-mile hikes in the woods, great, we've got those. If you want to drive around and find micros, great, we've got those too. Like to cache alone? No problem. Like to cache with your family, or your dog, or your cat? No problem - you can't do every cache with your dog, but you can do a lot of them.

If it's not your cup of tea, then why bother posting that you don't like the idea, or that you don't want to spend the money, or that you don't like the idea of sitting in a car all day? I'm sorry, but this escapes me.

We encourage each other all the time with birthday wishes and milestone congradulations. I've never seen anyone post along the lines of, "Hey, 100 caches, huh? Wonder how much time and effort it took you to find all those. I'll bet it's a lot, wish I had that much time on my hands..." Why do that here?

On the positive side, these rallies take place around the country all the time. There was a 2-day event in TN where some cachers attended from 500 miles away. There's the other one in Canada that was posted here on this board. Heck, we might even get a few cachers "from away"

Well, perhaps the 2 organizers can race against themselves!