vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Learning points

Default Re: Learning points

It's a slow day at work and I came up with the following idea for a (hopefully) fun and educational thread.

Five simple statements. Fill out your answers.

1. The one thing I wish someone had told me when I first started geocaching was __________________________

2. The most important thing I have learned while geocaching is _____________________.

3. The one thing I wish other geocachers would do is _________________.

4. My most memorable experience while geocaching was _________________.

5. The one experience while geocaching that I would rather forget about is ____________________.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

[QUOTE=firefighterjake]It's a slow day at work and I came up with the following idea for a (hopefully) fun and educational thread.

Five simple statements. Fill out your answers.

1. The one thing I wish someone had told me when I first started geocaching was _gas prices are going up_________________________

2. The most important thing I have learned while geocaching is __there truely are people out there that you can call friends___________________.

3. The one thing I wish other geocachers would do is _cito more________________.

4. My most memorable experience while geocaching was _the friends I have made and the pizza________________.

5. The one experience while geocaching that I would rather forget about is _the first trip to drum and bass___________________.

I'll get things going . . . feel free to reply with light-hearted answers, serious answers or a combination.

-----

1. The one thing I wish someone had told me when I first started geocaching was how to use the "go to" (point to point feature on my GPSr since the first 10-15 caches I was going forwards and backwards and sidewards as I tried to get the coord numbers to match the posted cords on line -- at times I looked as though I was learning some new line dance.

2. The most important thing I have learned while geocaching is to stay on the trail since the shortest distance between two points (i.e. the starting point and the cache) is not always the shortest line (see my entry for Palmyra Peninsula when I went through thick alders and thorns like a bullmoose crashing through the undergrowth only to discover a path fairly close to the cache.)

3. The one thing I wish other geocachers would do is replace the caches and cache camouflage as they find it since it seems as though I am always checking my caches and finding that the camouflage looks nothing like I had it originally . . . that and the area around the caches so often look like a tsunami struck the area.

4. My most memorable experience while geocaching was the time when I was studying a rock wall from every angle imaginable and pulling apart nearly every stone as I knew the cache was there . . . and I was so engrossed in finding this cache (I had been there several times before) that I never noticed a pair of muggles walking their dog who surprised me when they walked past me. It was then that the woman said something to the effect of "We were wondering who was fixing up the stone wall. It looks good. Keep up the good work." I was tired so I didn't bother to explain that I was a geocacher and that it was in fact other geocachers searching for this very same cache that had fixed up the wall, so I took credit for the repaired wall . . . but then felt guilty so I spent another 10-15 minutes after finding the cache fixing up another section of the wall.

5. The one experience while geocaching that I would rather forget about is Island Cache since I logged a DNF the first time I looked for it, only to discover that this was one of the easiest caches I have ever found with little to no camouflage and even a bright, red tupperware top.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

that was funny Jake. While I was at Mom's this past weekend, I picked up one of your sig items out of a cache in Winter Harbor...very clever, I like it and will keep with other sig items that I am now collecting. thnak you
    Cape Ann Carol

Quote Originally Posted by cape ann carol
    that was funny Jake. While I was at Mom's this past weekend, I picked up one of your sig items out of a cache in Winter Harbor...very clever, I like it and will keep with other sig items that I am now collecting. thnak you
    Cape Ann Carol
    Not to get sidetracked, but I noticed and duly noted it in the log I'm keeping of who has what ladder and the number. Glad you liked it.

Jake, number 4 was a riot!!!

1. The one thing I wish someone had told me when I first started geocaching was .... agreeing with J... how to use the goto and waypoint function, it was pretty hard trying to get the numbers just right

2. The most important thing I have learned while geocaching is... bring batteries, bugspray, trashbag, and cool toys (not junk) treat the cache as if it were your own, and that slowing down and being patient is easier than ranting around the woods turning up everything in sight...

3. The one thing I wish other geocachers would do is... TAKE CARE OF THEIR CACHES THAT HAVE BEEN IGNORED FOR OVER A YEAR WITH DOZENZ OF PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THEM...(thats my big peeve right now, i've come arcross about 6 of those in the last month)

4. My most memorable experience while geocaching was... where do i start? diving in the cold river after my gps? meeting the cops at LTs cache in Hinckley... Locking my keys in the Jeep at the branch pond cache in the middle of winter ($120 on a sunday for a locksmith!) there's too many memories...

5. The one experience while geocaching that I would rather forget about is... why would i want to forget any of it?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

. The one thing I wish someone had told me when I first started geocaching was If you like caching so much, quit working and let me fund it you so you can do it every day. I'll also be willing to supply a motorhome, ATV bicycle, jetski and anything else you need.

2. The most important thing I have learned while geocaching is #1 will never happen.

3. The one thing I wish other geocachers would do is not place a cache within one mile of another without my permission.

4. My most memorable experience while geocaching was meeting and caching with msteelee.

5. The one experience while geocaching that I would rather forget about is nothing. I like to remmeber all the good and not so good times, including Etna Bog, Bald Pate and even the lamer caches. It's only by remembering the less desirable hunts that I fully appreciate the great hides and locations.

4. My most memorable experience while geocaching was meeting and caching with msteelee.

Awwwwwwwwwww - now ain't that just tooooo sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb
    Wow, you too?!?!?!