vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 60cs and Vista

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    Yes, I am very lucky, I got lucky and my brothers got me an early birhtday present. I do not think that the GPS is going to raise my numbers, I am going to say that it is my motivation that is raising my numbers But then I do not want to think that the GPS is more important than my ability to find the cache... but that could be just ego.
    you dont need a GPS to find caches, usually i just drive as close to i can, using the delorme on my laptop in the truck, leave the gps behind and go for a walk, i've found dozens that way
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    This past weekend we did geocaching in the sunshine of the Millinocket and Greenville area. I started using my 60cs and it was jumping all over. I went to my Vista and it worked to perfection ALL weekend. I just used my 60cs for routing only. Both days were clear and we were in the open most of the time. I think there is something Garmin isn't telling us about the 60cs.
    I have a 60cs sometimes is great sometimes terrible. The last time I was out it took me within two feet of the cache. More often it seems to bounce around and always changing its mind. Still it usually gets me close enough that I can find the cache.

When I first got the 60cs last summer it worked great even under tree cover. I didn't have the problems I'm having now...tree cover seems to drive it crazy and it's very inconsistent...jumping around directionally and distance from cache. Is there a firmware update that I may have missed?? It seems others are having some of these problems. Have they just begun with other users or have they been ongoing?? But the autorouting works fine??

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    you dont need a GPS to find caches, usually i just drive as close to i can, using the delorme on my laptop in the truck, leave the gps behind and go for a walk, i've found dozens that way
    This is the same technique that we Magellan users utilize as well . . . only we also stumble around a lot and start spinning in circles.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Post Reason #1

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    This is the same technique that we Magellan users utilize as well . . . only we also stumble around a lot and start spinning in circles.
    I do this under normal circumstances!! I purchased the Garmin to make it CONTROLLED stumbling and spinning in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    and i've perfected the additional "falling down" part!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    When I first got the 60cs last summer it worked great even under tree cover. I didn't have the problems I'm having now...tree cover seems to drive it crazy and it's very inconsistent...jumping around directionally and distance from cache. Is there a firmware update that I may have missed?? It seems others are having some of these problems. Have they just begun with other users or have they been ongoing?? But the autorouting works fine??
    Frank - I'm having exactly the same problems that you are.

Oh - and the 60csx is scheduled to be delivered on Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    With the 101 Dalmation caches I have been doing that alot latley too.

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    and i've perfected the additional "falling down" part!
    Me too - and I am a Garmin user!! Of course, I can fall down even without my GPS like I did near the Civic Center in Portland this past weekend in the pouring rain. Ouch! My entire side was soaked, not to mention the large scrape/abrasion on my knee that I have been babying all week. Oh yeah, of course there is my humbled ego after falling in front of so many people and saying the "F" word really loudly as I landed. "Sheesh" at least when I fall while caching I am in the woods by myself or with people who will offer to help me up after they laugh a bit. Saturday I only got a couple of looks and the rest just walked by - ai yi yi. Yes, Dave 1976 - I know - it IS the city after all!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

One thing I have noticed with my 60CSx is that at never tells me it lost sat lock under the trees. Also it stays locked when I throw it on my front seat. I don't have to have it on the dash. The newest firmware seems to have solved my compus rpoblems too. Now I only have to do the hokey pokey once or twic a day.