vb:literal>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RE: Interrupting encounters?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    Jake, you weren't imagining things. I just posted my log entry, and observed the same stuff. I saw that your logs were gone, does the poster expect you to not get credit for a find, even if something sketchy happened???
    If my post gets erased, I'm emailing the owner to put it back.
    I noticed your log shortly after noticing that my own had been deleted.

I was going to repost my original log, but I decided to simply post a log that my original log was deleted for some reason and leave it at that (so I could at least get credit), but . . .

I then contacted gpsfun and shared with him my logs, an e-mail from another cacher and referred him to your post. As you can see he has posted a message . . . which he says cannot be deleted.

Once again I have no problems with heterosexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals or whatever . . . I just expressed my feelings, what happened and urged folks to exercise some caution. After doing some more investigating I found out from more than one local that the area is known as a meeting place. I posted a second log mentioning this, but added a tagline that most likely this place would be fine at certain times of the day and week (just Saturday evening on a warm day in May isn't one of them.)

Incidentally, one or two other geocachers also said my feelings were right on . . . they were also apparently deleted by the cache owner.

I was feeling a little disappointed (besides I had to work hard to get that find -- I have a Magellan), but this morning I'm feeling as though I've been at least vindicated in my thoughts.

Who knows . . . I may edit my post and put in my original log.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    wow, i can't believe the owner deleted your posts! i'm glad you posted again
    Well I wanted to get credit for the find at least . . . I just wish the owner had exercised the same sense of decency that I did for them by e-mailing them that I was putting a follow-up note on the page.

In the short time I've been geocaching I've only asked (key word being "asked" not "deleted" or "modified") one post when I asked a cacher if they would mind altering their log to remove a "spoiler" which they did so with no problems.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    i hope gpsfun's post for the fitz cache doesn't get deleted!
    He sent me an e-mail explaining what he did . . . and he did a few other things behind the scenes and also said my feelings were justified . . . and he added that the owners cannot delete his log.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I think what GPSFUN posted was more than appropriate, people should be aware that, that may not be a safe place for kids (or adults even)
    I agree . . . I also thought he worded it very well.

Again, I suspect that the people who frequent these places are probably harmless (especially if a group of cachers show up or even a family), but I also feel as though geocachers should be made aware of a possible place where they may not feel comfortable as I was when I made the find.

Now there is also a "hangout" at the reststop on I-95 south in Hampden (just learned of this the other day) . . . but when I did this cache last year I never noticed anything out of the ordinary, was never approached, the cache was not in the woods, etc. and I did not feel any concern.

Final thought . . . just echoing here . . . I suspect that at many times this cache will be fine to do . . . maybe evenings aren't the best time of day to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    After doing some more investigating I found out from more than one local that the area is known as a meeting place. I posted a second log mentioning this, but added a tagline that most likely this place would be fine at certain times of the day and week (just Saturday evening on a warm day in May isn't one of them.)
    well, a tuesday afternoon 1600-ish in the rain in may isn't one of them either. like i said, i was surprised that the owner deleted your post. i didn't see anything wrong with it. if people are going to be following cachers around (see sudonim's post for the cache) then cachers should be aware of that. i think gpsfun's post was really good - and i am glad that it cannot be deleted! i'm also glad that you got in touch with him about all of this. (and that you got your smiley!)

i was telling the secretary at work about all of this and she had heard of the activities at this rest stop. she told me that thompson island (headed to bar harbor) is another "hotspot" (although the term she used was more colorful!) she said she pulled in there late one afternoon with her parking lights on and apparently that is a signal that the driver is "looking for action." she had no idea, until her friends told her that was why guys started driving up beside her car!

i just noticed that the cache that was on thompson island is gone. i remember the controversy when the cache was placed. most of the island is part of acadia nat'l park.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

aha, THAT expains that funny feeling I had when i did that Thompson Island cache. it was raining that day and I showed up with lights ablazing and kept getting these funny looks, like "what are you doing here?" Of course, I headed off to the bathroom then out into the woods so I only must have added to the suspicion. But I was purposeful that day, so no one bothered me (that was during the capture the flag game). Y'know my nephew calls his football coach Captain Obvious, I must be Captain Oblivious. :-)