vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Advice

Default Hiking Advice

Any advice and help would be appreciated....

I am looking to build up to hiking Mount Washington by the end of the summer/fall. As a battle-win over anxiety.

Anyway, I am fit and in shape...and getting more in shape each week. So not worried about fitness.

I intend to start out with Pleasant Mountain.

Has anyone hiked this? Any recommendations? What to use, what trail? Time?

What minimum equipment should I have? Despite being 35 I am in school so the equipment is going to have to be a need only basis. lol

What other trails or mountains should I pursue as training?

Any help would be appreciated.

LWA11

I did Mount Washington while overweight, so you don't have to worry too much about fitness unless you are trying to go fast. Coming down is where I always get in trouble. Shoes with good support will keep your ankles from turning too much. For going up, shorts or loose pants will keep you moving freely and be less strain on thigh muscles. have fun!
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

How long did it take you? Did you go in summer? Cold at the top?

Check this out for what is going on atop Mt. Washington

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by lwa11
    Any advice and help would be appreciated....

I intend to start out with Pleasant Mountain.

Has anyone hiked this? Any recommendations? What to use, what trail? Time?
    Is this Pleasant Mountain in Denmark? If so we hiked it with friends when our kids were young (like maybe 6 and 7) and it wasn't a bad hike at all. I haven't hiked Mt. Washington yet, so I can't compare, but it was pretty easy compared to some others we've hiked, like Mt. Moriah.

For Pleasant Mountain, I remember using a trailhead on the east side of the mountain, near Moose Pond (interesting cache nearby). The hike we did was a trail recommended in the Maine Atlas and Gazeteer. It was a good leg-stretcher; steep enough for good workout but not too steep to be dangerous (or cause Donna to freak out!). Nothing special to bring other than some good footwear (sneakers or hiking boots), and some water and a snack. We like packing a big picnic lunch and having everyone carry a part of it. A light jacket would be good to have with you, too. And don't forget a camera and binoculars; the views at the top are excellent!! Have a nice hike!

I was in N. Conway this weekend, and Mt. Washington got 3/4' of snow! They guy at the bike shop was going to ride up/ski down tomorrow.

Mt Washington was a long time ago, but I seem to remember that we planned for 4 hours each way. It was summer, so it wasn't cold but it was windy.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate it.

LWA11

Quote Originally Posted by lwa11
    Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate it.

LWA11
    RULOST2? and I plan to do Mt. Washington sometime this summer. If you want a ride back down, let us know!

There are quite a few ways to get to the top. Most people start from Pinkham Notch base lodge and choose Tuckerman Ravine. The next most popular is Lion's Head, which branches off Tuckerman just below the pond. If you want a more challenging climb, pick Huntington's trail. It is not recommended for going down or in bad weather. You can also start from the other side and take Jewel trail. This follows a small brook and takes you past Lake of the Clouds hut. There are much longer ways up also.

When you get to the top, there are several good choices if you’ve found that you are not up to the challenge. First, it is possible to get a ride down using the Auotroad coaches. It is very expensive and only practical if you are hurt or in doubt of making the trek down. If you started from the other side, you can take the cog railway, but again, it is expensive. Walking the autoroad down keeps you within easy reach of help if you think you can make it but are not sure about climbing down all the rocks.

Bring lots of water. There is water and food at the top, but you will need enough to get there. You should be very comfortable with your shoes or boots. Do not try this with new foot gear. The ascent can be done with hiking shoes or sneakers. I've even do it with flip-flops! The hike down requires good ankle support. This is not a good place to find out you need more support.

I wouldn't worry about how long the hike takes. Just be sure to start around 7 or 8 am. Be flexible with your choice of days. You are looking for a day where a high pressure zone is over New England. Late August and early September are more likely than May or June. I would not recommend going if the winds are more than 20 mph at the bottom. The winds at the top will be much worse and could be make it a tough hike. Don't be afraid to turn around or cancel if the weather is going to be bad.

The alpine areas are very sensitive to hiking. Grass grows by inches and dies by feet! But, up there, the mosses grow over decades and die every day hikers go up. Try very hard to stay on the trail and step only on rocks.

New Hampshire has a Negligent Hiking law. If you do something really stupid, they can charge you and make you pay for the cost of rescue. Hiking drunk or going way off trail are good ways to get in trouble.