vb:literal>

Thread: Anyone in eastern ME missing a cache??

Default Anyone in eastern ME missing a cache??

I rec'd the following e-mail.. Anyone missing a cache.. It's not mine & does not fit the discriptions of any local coastal containers.

"Dear RubiconJW,

I think your Roque Rocks cache may have been disturbed. Last Saturday I was walking from the point back around the cove toward the state park trails. As I crossed the small brook like depression at the far east end of the cove where you meet the Pondcove trail in the park, I found a clear tupper with a green top marked geocache sitting out in the open. The top was off the tupper and rain had gotten into it. There was also a very wet book (from the cache) on the ground in a couple of pieces. A bunch of small items still in the cache. I do not remember finding a log. I drained the water out of the box and put it back together. You can find it wedged in a three trunked tree about 20 feet to the left (south east) of where the trail makes a 90 degree turn to the right as it reaches the cove. I did not have my gps and was not even caching when I discovered the tupper. It was quite a way from the cache location as displayed on the maps (about 500 feet further east)"...snip...

It was found near Roque Rocks Cache

I was in the area yesterday for a maint run on mine.. I tried to locate this by directions above but was unable.
    Anyone shy a coastal cache??

JW
    --... ...-- de N1MLF Echolink #21843

Wow, with the nearest cache 4 miles from yours, it's hard to imagine the odds of one floating that far. I guess that means someone carried one there, or someone placed a cache there that never got approved, and they never removed it.

d’76 Guest

i wonder if it was an archived one???

AFAIK mine's been the only one in the area for almost 5 yrs. The next two closest have different containers so it's not them..
    I'll hafta go back & do a more extensive search. Maybe I can make out some info once it's dried out. I'll also drop a note to gpsfun to see if it's been on his list.
    Bummer to see a cache get lost.
    JW

there's a cache down in rockland "Snows Cache" that is missing... it could be possible that it got taken out to sea and found its way up there... the cache was right by the shore in some rocks... although it was high up... i can see an extreme tide getting high enough to take it out....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

From a subsequent e-mail

..snip..
    "It is quite unlikely that this box floated
    in on the tide. It was well above high tide line and in the woods. The
    tupper cover said Geocache but unlike most I have encountered did not have the co-ordinates or geocaching.com printed on its exterior."
    ..snip..

Golly.. if it came from Rockland that would be a good 80-90 miles!! Not impossible but highly unlikely. Maybe a new record~~
    I sent a note to GPSFUN & will let ya know if I hear anything. I think buying a little time on this would be prudent to see if an owner shows up & if I can get back to Roque in the next week or so I'll make an extensive look for it & bring it home if found.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconJW
    From a subsequent e-mail

..snip..
    "It is quite unlikely that this box floated
    in on the tide. It was well above high tide line and in the woods. The
    tupper cover said Geocache but unlike most I have encountered did not have the co-ordinates or geocaching.com printed on its exterior."
    ..snip..

Golly.. if it came from Rockland that would be a good 80-90 miles!! Not impossible but highly unlikely. Maybe a new record~~
    I sent a note to GPSFUN & will let ya know if I hear anything. I think buying a little time on this would be prudent to see if an owner shows up & if I can get back to Roque in the next week or so I'll make an extensive look for it & bring it home if found.

JW
    yeah, i just looked real quick at the little map on that cache link you posted and saw it was near the coast... but hey ya never know how things happen
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.