vb:literal>

Thread: Save Wet Electronics

Default Save Wet Electronics

If Your Hand held GPS, Digital Camera,Radio or other electronic eguipment gets accidental soaking, try packing in a zip-seal bag full of dry uncooked rice for 24 hours, The grains will absorb moisture with out applying heat which can cause parts to warp. more often then not your valuable gear will be back in operating condition after this treatment.

Great idea!! Sounds like it came straight from "Hints from Heloise"
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Don't forget shut off power to the device and to remove the batteries if you can before doing this. Sometimes a short circuit created by the water will cause more damage then the water itself.

If it is dropped in salt water, try to rinse it in fresh first. The salt will do major damage. (Also the case if you spill a soda or coffee with sugar in it)

I've spilled soda in many electronics... best thing i've found is don't rinse with water.. use rubbing alcohol to rinse it, then blow it out with compressed air.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I've spilled soda in many electronics... best thing i've found is don't rinse with water.. use rubbing alcohol to rinse it, then blow it out with compressed air.
    Hmmm . . . somewhere in all of this thread there's a joke about what to do if you accidentally drop your GPSr while crossing a railroad trestle . . . but I'm not sure what that joke would be accidentally.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Hmmm . . . somewhere in all of this thread there's a joke about what to do if you accidentally drop your GPSr while crossing a railroad trestle . . . but I'm not sure what that joke would be accidentally.
    Yes, I want to know where you can get a baggie big enough to put a wet cacher in, and where would you get all that rice.... Do you rinse/not rinse? I'm guessing you would probably require an internal rinse with some alcohol before drying in the baggie......

Christy
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Yes, I want to know where you can get a baggie big enough to put a wet cacher in, and where would you get all that rice.... Do you rinse/not rinse? I'm guessing you would probably require an internal rinse with some alcohol before drying in the baggie......

Christy

I know, I know but you probable wouldn't want the baggie I'm thinking of...at least not yet and not for a long, long time.

Happy Caching!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I've got a Garmin... It's bullet proof, as long as you can retrieve it, it will work!

and no, you can't put me in a baggie.. cuz everytime I put a bag over my head and stretch it out to inhale and exhale to make goofy faces my wife freaks out and hits me telling me that i'm going to hurt myself... haven't quite figured that out yet...