vb:literal>

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Northwoods Tread Lightly® 4x4 Cache Rally

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I'd wager a six-pack that my Explorer is narrower than your Jeep.
    Overall width of Jeep Cherokee = 67.9" - 70.5" (depending upon trim level & year).

'91 Exploder (first year) = 70.2"
    2006 Exploder = 73.7"

So, I guess we'll have to get out the tape measure to settle this one fellas--could go either way!

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    Overall width of Jeep Cherokee = 67.9" - 70.5" (depending upon trim level & year).

'91 Exploder (first year) = 70.2"
    2006 Exploder = 73.7"

So, I guess we'll have to get out the tape measure to settle this one fellas--could go either way!
    When two guys break out a tape measure to settle a bet, it's never a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    When two guys break out a tape measure to settle a bet, it's never a good thing
    That is a mental picture I did not need!

AWESOME. I am definitely in on this one unless something pops up. I have a 4x4 and should be all set as long as it holds up. I have stayed at the campsite before and this is a nice cozy place. The water supply is iffy sometimes because it is not well water, it comes off the mountain. So you might want to bring some water. There is an port-a-potty on hand also and a small store. The store does not sell alcohol so if you want some drinks you will have to get them ahead of time.
    Blazing Troll

I'm working on an article about a local guy who won a contest in FourWheeler magazine and ended up being sent to Moab, Utah. Afterwards he took me for a short ride in his highly modified Jeep . . . wowzers, I never knew what a Jeep could do -- at one point I was convinced we were going to roll it as one wheel had two feet of clearance while the other was squashed right into the wheel well. Now this was truly a four wheeling experience -- the guy owns something like 4-5 registered Jeeps and Scouts, a Unimog and about 24 Jeeps and Scouts in various states of repair/disrepair.

Just for a little clarification . . . what type of four wheeling does this trip entail . . . we're not talking extreme rock climbing, two foot thick mudholes, winches required, etc. are we . . . or are we not?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

Brad you can ride with Connie and I. I will try and keep my schedule open.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Just for a little clarification . . . what type of four wheeling does this trip entail . . . we're not talking extreme rock climbing, two foot thick mudholes, winches required, etc. are we . . . or are we not?
    This will mostly be gravel roads--if it rains, there might be a little mud. There is the possibility of vehicle damage on Fosters Solitude--you will need some halfway decent ground clearance as the trail is very rocky (my unlifted Cherokee was fine). Last year there was a washout that I felt more comfortable being spotted thru, which we will do if necessary. Also, the trail is fairly narrow in spots, so you might get some "Pine Tree Pinstriping" from the brush on either side. None of the other trails should be any problem.

We should be able to make it! The Toyota is up to the challenge... I hope...LOL!!! Sounds like fun and the good news is, I have a camp not to far away, with an indoor potty and shower...yeehaa! Bring on the boiled Lobsters and corn on the cob!!!!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    We should be able to make it! The Toyota is up to the challenge... I hope...LOL!!! Sounds like fun and the good news is, I have a camp not to far away, with an indoor potty and shower...yeehaa! Bring on the boiled Lobsters and corn on the cob!!!!
    Ummm

Lobster

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    This will mostly be gravel roads--if it rains, there might be a little mud. There is the possibility of vehicle damage on Fosters Solitude--you will need some halfway decent ground clearance as the trail is very rocky (my unlifted Cherokee was fine). Last year there was a washout that I felt more comfortable being spotted thru, which we will do if necessary. Also, the trail is fairly narrow in spots, so you might get some "Pine Tree Pinstriping" from the brush on either side. None of the other trails should be any problem.
    This sounds up my alley then . . . I have no problems with muddy, rutted up gravel roads (but I'm not too keen on rock climbing) . . . and I have no issues with possible scratches since you can get those in the parking lot at Walmart (or in my case by a very, very bad dog who jumped up on my 4Runner door while delivering turkeys to the needy one Thanksgiving . . . and the guy had the gall to ask why (and become ticked off) we didn't have a free turkey basket for his brother, mother, other welfare-sucking-non-working friend-family member.

I may have to reconsider doing a group event since they're not my usual thing. But I do enjoy riding on the backroads and camping. Thanks for the reply.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."